Chapter 14

My body explodes with pain as I slam into the ground. I quickly get up and begin to sprint away. I can hear the Germans yelling behind me. I run towards the buildings hoping I can maybe lose them in the alleyways. I run down a alleyway and make a sharp left turn, I'm looking around for any sign of the church that Will is in. Off in the distance about a kilometre away I see it, but before I can go find Will I need to get the Germans off my back. I can still hear them close behind, I pick up the pace.

I sprint down a street and turn right and jump into a house and hide near a window and watch for Germans. They turn the corner and notice I'm nowhere to be found and what looks like a captain yells out something in German and they split up and go to check the houses. I go up the stairs and around a corner and listen. I hear someone enter the house, and from what j can hear he is checking the first floor and then they get louder and start to go up the stairs.

I pull out my knife and go hide behind a door. I hear him opening doors and finally he comes towards me he walks into the room and I slash at his back and he yelps in pain as I hit his back. He turns around and he slams his gun into my side and I fall over. He jumps on me and uses his gun to choke me. I try to punch him but I can't do anything to him.

My vision starts to blur and I continue to thrash at him. I notice to my right is my knife. I stretch my arm out as far as I can and I just manage to grab it. I put all of my weight into my jab and I put the knife right through the mans skull.

I take a second and go to a window to check to see if the Germans are still there. There are a bunch of them gathered and they start to walk back to the town hall.

Relived I walk out of the house and started to sprint towards the church. I finally make it to the church and walk in. I find Will sitting near the back in a chair.

I tell him that I called in and told him we have about three hours to make it there. He tells me that he's ready to go and we make our way towards the way we came to the town.

We kept to the alleyways and moved quickly until with only about a kilometre to our extraction point. We heard a sniper bullet go flying past our heads and I start to run only to remember about Wills leg. So I go back for him and drag his along with me we find cover around a corner and I tell Will I'm going to try to locate the sniper to find a way to take him out.

I quickly peek out around the corner and spot some sniper glint from a third story window. If we can make it across the road we can get away but chances are he has already called in reinforcements so I tell Will we will have to make a run for it.

He gets him self ready and I count down.

"Three, two, one."

And we run as fast as we can and while we run I catch a glimpse of more Germans down the road we had just come from. We run out of the snipers sight and pick up the pace towards our objective.

Finally with about thirty minutes to spare we get there. But before I could relish the rest I thought I was about to get we hear bullet shots going off and we jump behind a wall.

I give him my pistol and I load my rifle. I peek out from behind the wall and shoot a couple rounds. I hear a some screams that confirms I hit my targets and then Will peaks out and he instantly gets back behind cover.

"There are way to many for use to handle out there." Will says.

I tell him we only have a little bit more time to hold out. So we continue to peek and shoot and peek then shoot. Finally we run out of bullets and we take out our knife and decide to go down fighting rather then giving up.

As we hear them running towards us I see s helicopter in the distance I scream in joy and point at it. Will sees it and he hollers. Like a guardian angel the helicopter starts to unload its guns into the Germans and we run towards the landing zone.

Eventually all the Germans are killed or have run away and we load onto the helicopter and we take off.

I look at Will and tell him what a great job we did holding them off.

The medics bandages us up and we talk about before we joined he war and in what felt like no time we were back and we get brought back to our beds to rest.