Chapter 7

I wake up to something hitting me. I hear someone calling my name, I open my eyes and see that Will was trying to get my attention.

He was saying "Hey the plane is landing in the base closest to the front lines. Welcome to France.".

"Oh wow how long was I asleep?" I asked.

"Eight hours."

"Please prepare for landing, put on your seat belt and stay seated until further notice." Said the pilot.

"Here we go." says Will.

"Here we go." I reply.

At the base...

I'm walking with Will to the place where we will sleep. We get there and find our uniforms with our ranks and names on them.

After we have all of our stuff on and settled a man walks in and by the looks if it he is high in command and he calls all of the squad leaders to come with him.

I tell Will I'll see him later and go with the man. There is eight of us that go with him, I can see why they were chosen, they were the best of the best during training.

We are brought into what looked like his office he sat us down and offered us water I took some and thanked him.

Once everyone was seated he started to explain why we were here.

He says "Hello everyone, I have called you here today to brief you on what you will be doing. Your squads will be guarding the front lines, so basically you will be walking through the trenches looking for any Germans and you will be helping any other squads setup near your position when needed. Any questions? No, good you are leaving tomorrow be ready at 0800 sharp.".

We all leave to go back to our squads and brief them on tomorrow. When I get back I find Will and round up the rest of my squad. I brief them then I order them to go for a run then get some sleep.

While my squad is gone I try my best to get some sleep but I already know that tonight will be sleepless for many people.

Finally I drift off to sleep.

I wake to my alarm blaring into my ear. I turn it off and get changed quickly. Then I got my squad up and orders them to meet me at the armoury.

Within five minutes my squad is at the armoury and ready for the day. I show the guard my i.d. and he lets us through. We all grab what we are aloud, a tommy gun, a M1911 pistol, three grenades, a knife, and some extra ammo.

On the way out I check my watch and see that it is almost eight so I tell my squad to follow me and we arrive a minute early. There are already some squads here but not many. There are many cars and assume that is what we will be in.

The person I saw yesterday is here and waits for everyone to give him their attention. He tells us which squads are in which cats and we all load up, and within minutes we are driving to where we will be stationed.

Thirty minutes later we could already start to hear the gun fire. I just hope none of my squad dies quickly.

I think to myself. This is it, I'm in the war now, no backing out.