23

Days passed and I gathered up all the ingredients for the cake. I ended up going with a vanilla cinnamon cake with layers that had cream in between and thin apple slices. I added frosting on top and sliced apple with cinnamon sprinkled on top. I had some left over batter so I made a few cup cakes in old cans left over. I cut them in half to be shorter and placed them on a pan since that didn't have cupcake sheets. I had to find a metal pan and use that for the cake. It worked for the most part so I'd call that a success. The day to exchange gifts finally rolled around. I placed the cake carefully in a fancy box and brought two cupcakes for lunch. Alisa spotted me in the hall during passing period with my lunch in hand.

"What's that? Bread?" She asked in her annoyingly high pitched voice.

"No its cake." I replied. "Here." I shoved my second cupcake towards her. "Take it, I can't finish two anyways."

She carefully took it as if it was diseased. "I eat it?" She asked unsure if it was safe or not.

"Yeah, I like to think it's pretty good." I replied. As I walked away she took a bite. Her face lit up in confusion and wonder with a hint of excitement. I smiled to myself knowing that they were good.

School ended and I carried my boxed cake to fight in club.

"Alright, lets exchange gifts first!" Coach announced excitedly. "Who has me?"

A boy raised his hand and replied, "I do." The gift exchanging went by pretty quickly despite the whole club having around 20 members. Finally my turn to five came around. "Who has Wesley?" Coach called.

"I do!" I grinned. I was pretty proud of what I made. Wesley took the box and opened it to reveal the cake.

"It's great..." he laughed nervously. "What is it exactly?"

"It's cake, you eat it." I shrugged.

His face lit up as soon as I said eat. He picked up the fork I included in there and dig into the cake. He took a a small bite to see how it tasted and his face lit up. "This is amazing! What is the white stuff? Where did you get it?"

"It's frosting, that's why I asked about milk before, I wasn't sure if you had already had something like this." I smiled. "Also I made it myself."

"Can I try?" One boy asked curious as to why Wesley liked it so much.

"No it's mine!" Wesley hugged the box close to his chest.

"It's made by Veronica so it's probably not that great anyways. She not the kind of girl who could be able to cook!" One of the boys sneered.

"Her food is the best! It's weird but it's the best." Wesley argued. He shoved the fork full of cake towards the boy who said it probably wasn't good and the boy who asked to try it. They both took a bite and had surprised faces before looking at each other in confusion.

"It's... good." One of them muttered. "It's unlike anything I've ever had and I've had exotic foods before but this is so different!"

I smiled proudly. "I knew people would like it." I said excitedly as I pumped my fist in the air. There were many other curious guys who wanted to try the cake but Wesley waved them away greedily. The present giving continued and finally it was my turn. I was the last person.

"Who has Veronica?" Coach asked tired of calling names.

"I do sir." Someone said sheepishly. It was the guy who had pointed the sword at me before. "I'm sorry about the thing before when I threatened you with a sword... anyways, here's your present." He shoved a neatly wrapped box towards me. I unwrapped it carefully and took out a long cloak. "I noticed that yours had a few holes in it so..."

"Thanks!" I said happily examining it. At least I could actually use this since I did need a new cloak.

Club time was just about over now that we finished so Coach Larkey allowed us to leave early.

"I won't go so easy on you next time!" Coach Larkey called out. "We'll be doing double the work next week!"

Everyone groaned at the added work. It was the weekend though so most people were happy about that. Once Wesley and I were away from the other kids and walking down the quiet streets he reached into his bag and pulled out a box.

"Since I didn't get to give you something I thought I'd give you this." He handed me the box. Inside was a neatly folded scarf that looked very similar to his. "I noticed you kept looking at it whenever you were cold so I figured your neck must get cold easily."

"Thank you, it's the best!" I smiled. He seemed relieved that I liked it. At that moment I felt something cold on my finger. I looked down to find a small white dot. A snowflake! It was this years first snow. How pretty.

We arrived at my door. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow." He waved goodby as I stepped into the heated house. I was pretty happy with my new cloak and scarf.

"Where did you get those?" Mr. Evan asked spotting my gifts.

"Oh, we exchanged gifts today. Speaking of which I have one for you. I took one of the cupcakes and gave it to him. "It's edible."

"No fair I didn't get anything for you!" He huffed.

"Oh it's okay I was t expecting anything, you didn't m is anyways."

"No no no, my pride has been ruined." He hushed. "I hope you don't mind that what I get you will be delayed but I promise you'll like it."

"That's fine," I smiled. "I wasn't expecting anything I t the first place anyways so a late present really isn't so bad!"

"Great," Mr. Evan laughed. "It'll be ready next week!"

What could possibly take so long to get ready? I wondered.

--------------------
Hey hey it's the author here. Just wondering if it's too early to put in actual romance between the characters. Please comment what you think!