5

I walked aimlessly for days on end. I picked all the fruit I could find searching for a reliable water source. That was the one thing I needed. A water source. I had picked up two flask that I filled with water before I left but I was already on my last flask. Something rushed past my field of vision. I followed what I saw and parted a bush to see what had happened. A small rabbit with an injured leg was about to be eaten by a large wolf. It cowered in fear. I had to do something. I climbed a tree swiftly and perched myself on the branch above the wolf. I snapped off a sharp stick from the tree and waited quietly for the perfect moment. The wolf slowly stalked closer towards the poor rabbit purposely making it even more scared and playing with its emotions. I keep down from the trees plunging the sharp stick into the wolf's eye. It howled in pain as blood gushed out of the damaged eye. It tried to bite my arm but I pushed it away and scrabbles it's leg. It finally gave up and ran as fast as a wolf with an injured leg could run, off into the woods. The bunny was still shocked from the ordeal but then spoke.

"Thank you... human."

I stared in shock at the rabbit. "You can talk!?"

The bunny nodded.

"I didn't know bunnies could talk..." my voice trailed off as I was still surprised by this.

"Most can't," he started. "But I'm special, I come from a long line of spirit rabbits."

"Spirit rabbits?" I questioned.

"Yes, we grant people special speeds if they do a good deed. We then erase their memories of that day and they continue their lives with their new magic ability." He explained. "Spirit animals are pretty rare since reproduction rates are low."

I just stared at him for a while before saying, "so that's how people get magic abilities... I guess once people get a magic ability their minds are erased of that moment. That explains why nobody ever knows how they got their power."

"Yes, to thank you I will gift you the super speed of the rabbits." The rabbit said while hobbling over to me and placing his paw on my head.

There was a blinding white light and a tattoo appeared on my upper arm. It was the image of a rabbit running but it was so small it was hardly noticeable.

"Thank you." I gasped. "But you're still hurt! Let me help you."

"It's okay, I could t trouble you further." The polite rabbit said.

"It's fine, I just need to find a place with bandages. I need to get to one anyways." I assured, pointing to the gash on my leg where the wolf had gotten me.

"Well in that case..." the bunny trailed off. "There is a small cottage just East of West of here. There is an old man who might be willing to help."

I scooped up the soft rabbit into my arms and hiked in the direction he told me. It took a while but we finally arrived at a small wooden cottage with a water mill on the side of the house. I lightly knocked on the wooden door and a scraggly but strong old man answered.

"Who are you and what is your business." He questioned with a gruff voice.

"I need something to stop the bleeding on this rabbits legs.

He looked me up and down then sighed. "Come on in..."

He lit the fireplace and opened up a wooden chest. "Here, take this." He handed me a long strip of fabric. "Apply pressure to the wound."

I did as instructed them rapped the piece of fabric around the leg.

"He's not the only one hurt." The old man said noticing my leg. He tossed me another piece of long cloth and I followed the same steps on my leg. "It doesn't look like you have a place to sleep."

I noticed my tired eyes in a mirror and looked at my muddy clothes. I was hard walking for so long in a skirt and shoes not made for walking.

"I have a room upstairs that isn't being used."

"I couldn't possibly..." I started but then remembered how it was to have to take short naps while taking watch. "Actually..."

He chuckled and gestured up the stairs.

"Thank you so much," I said as I carried the rabbit up the stairs. There were three two doors.

"It's the one at the far end away from the stairs." The old mans voice rang out.

I opened the door to a small room filled with dust. I noticed a broom in the corner.

"Do you mind if I clean it?" I asked loud enough so he could here me.

"By all means please do," he answered back. "There should be a spare cot in the closet.

I grabbed the broom and got to work. After about 20 minutes the floors were clean. I opened the doors to the very large closet and found the cot he was talking about and two swords, a little one and a big one. I dragged the cot out of the closet and set it up against a wall. I carefully placed the sleeping rabbit spirit on the cot and hurried down the stairs. The man was cooking something in a large pot by the fire.

"I'm making stew, your welcome to have some." The old man grunted.

"I couldn't impose..." I started.

He laughed. "A little to late for that seeing as you are staying in my house."

Oh yeah... I sat in a chair exhausted from traveling.

"You must be tired, I know I always was when traveling long distances by foot." He stated.

"Oh actually, do you by any chance know how to use a sword?" I asked remembering the two swords I found earlier.

"Ah, I guess you found the swords in the closet. I forgot about those..." his voice trailed of as if had remembered a distant memory. "Yes I used to sword fight. I like to think I was quite good too."

"Really? Can you teach me?" Is pleaded.

"Sword fighting is not a fun hobby you can pick up." He said. "It takes years of hard work to master and you're just a little six year old."

I pouted, "I'm actually seven and I don't want to learn as a hobby. I need to be able to protect myself. Earlier I was lucky enough when I stabbed a wolf twice with a stick and that was mostly due to the element of surprise. What will I do if the enemy already knows where I am?"

The old man seemed shocked. "I see, so you are serious about wanting to learn." He rubbed his chin. "Very well then, your lessons start tomorrow, eat up then get some rest. You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow."