Chapter 27: Dale

Bilbo looked at the three dwarves that were present. They had gathered in the throne room and were discussing the whereabouts of the Arkenstone. Despite searching for the entire day, they had not found even the slightest trace of it. Thorin was agitated. Balin spoke out, "We have searched everywhere and not found it yet. Maybe it is time to accept it can't be found Thorin" Thorin just gazed at the broken throne where the stone had once had its place, "No you just haven't searched enough. Look again! If you even want to find it? Is that so?" Balin shook his head, "Off course we want to find it, it is the birth right of our people" Thorin turned around, "It is the king's jewel, AM I NOT THE KING?" Bilbo took a step back. Why was acting like this? Balin and Dwalin looked at each other and Dwalin was about to speak but Thorin cut him off, "Know this: If anyone finds the stone and should fail to tell me about it, I shall be avenged" He left the room. Dwalin and Balin left their separate ways but Bilbo remained. He felt down in his inner pocket and was relieved to find he still had the stone, but what should he do? Should he give it to Thorin or keep it a secret. Thorin was not himself anymore that much was certain. Bilbo thought for a while and finally decided he needed to speak to Balin. The old dwarf had proven a good councillor and had always been kind and supportive of him. Bilbo found his way towards the study where he knew Balin would be. As he entered, he saw Balin was crying. He entered slowly and Balin looked at him over his shoulder and Bilbo could see he was clearly upset, "Dragonsickness" Balin said "That look that terrible need" Bilbo came closer and stood in front of Balin as the dwarf continued, "It is a fierce and jealous love Bilbo". Bilbo was confused what did he mean by that, "I drove his grandfather mad" Bilbo did not know what to say, it was right there in front of him yet he refused to believe it but it was true: Thorin had gone mad and he once again thought of Smaug's words. He thought of the Arkenstone, maybe it could help, maybe it was just something Smaug had said but what if she had actually told him the truth about the cursed gem. "Balin if Thorin had the arkenstone... or if, if it was found... would it help?" Balin looked gravely at him, "That stone crows it all. It bestows power upon the owner. Would it damper his madness? No lad. I fear it would only make it worse. Perhaps it is best it remains lost" Bilbo let out a breath "Smaug was right" He whispered. Balin looked at him, "What?". Bilbo did not register his question, "She was right" Bilbo repeated. "Lad what are you talking about" Bilbo looked at Balin only now realizing he had spoken out loud, "N-Nothing" he mumbled Balin looked at him and Bilbo could see the old dwarf did not believe him, " I, I have to go now" Bilbo stammered and hurried out the way he had come.

Thorin was wandering through the halls, searching for the stone. It had to be here. "The stone. Where is it?" he said to himself. He came across the old council room and his thoughts wandered back to the old times. When his grandfather and father sat on the chairs at the ends of the long table and he at his father's side. He looked at the end where the king was seated and this one's right where the queen was seated. Thorin thought to himself. How could he have been so blind. Despite not being of noble blood, there was only one woman he could think of could sit on that chair. Even despite not being a dwarf. Never had met anyone who would put stand against him and not take orders from him. "What have I done? I drove her away she was probably still in town when the beast came" He whispered. For a moment everything was clear. He thought to himself. No she was not dead. She was a warrior, "But how can I ever trust her? She does not share my goals nor believe in my right. She can't be trusted; still I believe she belongs here. I must make her see that. Once we have the Arkenstone we will be unstoppable" He left the room and passed a new corridor and saw Bilbo holding something in his hands. He has it! Throin thought and climbed the small steps "What is that in your hand? Show it!" he demanded. The hobbit was a little frightened but Thorin did not care and gestured to his hands. Bilbo showed him a small acorn and Thorin relaxed. No the hobbit would never steal from him. He was one of the few he could trust. Bilbo told him he wanted to plant it back home. In Bag End. It would be a memory of his journey. Thorin smiled. How naïve he was. How innocent. He was truly different from the rest of them. Then he heard Dwalin call for him. Survivors from Lake Town had arrived in Dale. Thorin's mind became clouded again. They had come to steal his treasure. But they would be disappointed. They would not be allowed here in his kingdom.