Chapter 18: Floating Houses

Chapter 18: Floating HousesThe fog had wrapped itself like a blanket and the only sound heard was small chunks of ice slamming into the bow. The old barge slithered silently through the water as it made its way towards the middle of the lake. The fog had brought chill in the weather and most of the passengers were stomping around the deck to get some warmth. All of a sudden, a large column appeared out of the fog, "Watch out!" but the Bargeman had already seen the upcoming danger and did not even scratch it. The dwarves whispered to each other. Some wanted to throw the man overboard, others did not. After all which one of them knew how to steer a barge. The man took notice of the dwarves' discussion. "These dwarves are nervous. They are hiding something. Maybe it was a fault bringing them along they might bring trouble over us". The man was about to pull to a stop when he was approached by the smallest in the company. He did not reassemble the dwarves. Much thinner and no beard and of course... those big bare feet. "What do they call you sir?" The man shook his head "What?" and focused on the little person in front of him. "What is your name? I am Bilbo" The little one said politely. He was a little taken aback by the question. "I do not know where this might lead but I need the money. Giving these people a way into the town is risky enough but should I also give them my name?" He looked at the small man in front of him. "My name is Bard". Bilbo took his hand and shook it. Bard just looked at him and watched him join his company. He was almost lost to his thoughts again when another dwarf cried out "Look out!" and he steered the barge smoothly around to cliff. Ignoring the grunts and dissatisfied whimpering he received. Was he trying to drown them? Not a bad idea but these waters were not the place to do it and maybe it was a bad idea after all.

Smaug could see the barge from where she stood on the bank. Hiding behind the bushes. She wondered how they could have persuaded the human to bring them along. From what she knew, human were greedy selfish beings. They only helped eachother for something in return. The man had either been promished something he could not resist or he was a supporter of Thorin's. one that wanted her dead. One that would help Thorin achieve what he came for. Help a greedy dwarf that is unable to see beyond the gold. She was ripped from her thoughts by the blond elf. "The dwarves have found a way to cross the lake. They are sailing on a barge that belongs to a man named Bard. He often comes to collect empty barrels and such from my father's kingdom" He leaned in closer. "I cannot see if they are all there but if we..." "They are" Smaug cut him off earning a glance. "They are all there." She looked at him through the corners of her eyes. "You are not the only one with good eyes young one" She stood up and started walking along the bank. Legolas starred after and Tauriel came up beside him. "I am hundreds of years in the eyes of humans. If I am young to her then how old is she? She is no elf so what can she be?" He questioned and looked to his friend. She shook her head "I cannot answer these questions but we might keep an eye on her". He nodded and they preceded on their way as well.

The stench of fish was awful and Bard thought himself happy not to call himself a fisherman. The dwarves were clearly unhappy for the arrangement and as one grumbled a bit more loudly, Bard kicked the barrel telling the dwarf to be quiet. As the fog began to lift around them, large poles sticking out of the water emerged. On top of these poles large planks and walls of wood rose and the silhouettes of houses in different sizes and shapes. Some were beginning to show signs of use and age while others almost seemed new. Small groups of clams grew on the large poles and seaweed was swimming around where they disappeared into the watery depts. With the passing sunlight and the still lingering fog, the houses almost seemed to float on the still lakewater. Bard made his way to the gate and almost slipped past when the hideous man by the name of Alfrid stopped him. The bastard was right hand to the Master and always ready to slither his way into his good favor. The vile man was however not eager to start a riot. Bard was allowed into town with his barrels full of fish. Bard gave the fish away and let the company through the market. People were staring at the unusual sight. Many had never seen a dwarf or a hobbit. Not that they would know how a hobbit looked like. All of a sudden, a guard shouted at them to stop. Bard could only watch as the dwarves foolishly started to run. Then another guard cut them off. Quickly some of the dwarves took whatever tool they could find and knocked the guards out. To his astonishment, Bard saw, how the townsfolk quickly turned their gazes and preceded as if nothing had happened. Some even helped hiding the unconscious guards from the captain who left as quickly as he had come. Bard let the dwarves the rest of the way to his house but not before sending them through the toilet as way not to cause too much attention.

The sun was setting. Smaug looked at the elves who were sitting down by a small campfire. "Are you planning to stay her?" She asked in disbelief. The male looked at her "We have been chasing the dwarves for a long time now and we know of their whereabouts. I believe it is better to confront them after some rest. We are close to the bridge and the dwarves are unarmed." She turned to him fully. "But we are not the only ones chasing those damn dwarves. The orcs are coming and Thorin is probably scheming with the humans, right as we speak. " He raised an eyebrow "What could they possibly scheme about?" She huffed "Do you really not know, elf? Has your daddy kept you so far from the outside world that you know not, that the darkness is growing? Think of the spiders, elf, why do you think they are growing bolder?" Legolas looked at her in a mixture of disbelief and concern but as she spoke, he was beginning to understand what she was saying. "The humans and the dwarves does not comprehend the danger that is unfolding and gazes that lurk upon the mountain. They see nothing but gold. They are greedy and it is their greed that lured the enemy in from the beginning." Legolas was momentarily lost in his thoughts and was about to speak when she cut him off. Again. "I am not speaking of the drake but something more powerful. They call it dragon sickness but has nothing to do with dragons. It is a darkening of the mind. Allowing the caster to control the victim. It survives where cruelty and deceit thrives and I tell you, that this land is filled with it" He took a step forward looking into her eyes. He thought he noticed glittering spark, which vanished quickly. "How do you know all this?". She narrowed her eyes "I have seen it up close. I have seen and felt it. I have fought it and paid the prize. I wander alone because of it". She turned on her heel and left him on the spot but not before yelling; "Get your rest elf you might need it in the days to come". Then she was gone.