Chapter 11: The Last Homely House

At the end of the tunnel the company was greeted with a golden light from the early evening sun. When they exited, they found themselves looking down at the valley of Imladris, truly a remarkable sight, the elven city. Smaug had only caught glimpses of it from the sky and never thought much about it, but from here the sight was, dare she say, beautiful. The carvings in the stone and the way the city seemed to harmonize with the surrounding nature was admirable. She did not dwell on these thoughts for long though. Thorin's sulking and Bilbo's eagerness to get down there and take a closer look interrupted her rare state of admiration. Bilbo was obviously fascinated with the city. As they made their decent down the path, Smaug could not help but notice that Bilbo seemed to be absorbing every little detail of the city and the valley in general. On their short descent, Bilbo had shown much more admiration in his eyes than Smaug had shown in her entire life. That hobbit never ceased to pick at her curiosity and cause her to roll her eyes of his tendency to be ingenuous. It was still hard to imagine this little fellow had been chosen to come along on the quest. Despite Gandalf's fondness of him, he still had a lot to prove to her. "The hobbit has only proven rather oblivious to the real world and its hardships not to mention his pitiful composure and weak mind, yet he is a curious creature. So naïve." She retreated to the only place everything was still untouched by the nuisance surrounding her: Her mind. She stayed in her thoughts and did not even flinch when an army of elves and horses came thundering over the white stone bridge and into the yard. Encircling the dwarves, who had drawn their weapons. They had no reason to do so yet they did the great elflord, however, took no such thing as offense and instead offered the company food and rest. This was a pleasant idea, Smaug thought. She saw no sense in the dwarves' hesitation. The dwarves accepted the offer and followed the elves to the dining area. If good manners and etiquette had been present before it was certainly not the case when the dwarves sat down to dine. They were insulting the food, the music and made a noisy calamity. This quickly became too much for Smaug to bear and she fled the scene. She ventured down the halls as silent as a shadow. Further and further into the heart of the elven city she wandered never pausing or looking back. She came across a spacious hall. On the side of one of the walls was a painting. Suddenly she was approached by an elf. A female of her kind. She had long golden hair and hazel eyes. She smiled, "This picture tells of a grand tale". Smaug did not acknowledge her. She did not need to hear the story behind the scene unfolding on the stones to know what it represented. The she elf did not seem to take notice. She turned to Smaug, extending her hand towards her, "I am Anwyn. I am one of the lead hunters of Lord Elrond's guard". Smaug merely looked at her from the corner of her eye before turning to the painting again. Anwyn let her hand fall to her side. "You came with the dwarves did you not? I have always wished to embark on a quest yet I am stuck here. She looked at Smaug as if to get some acknowledgement. "I wish to join your company. My aim with a bow has never failed and I will contribute" Smaug did not hear half of what this little nuisance said to her. She elf continued, " I merely wish acceptance as I see you hold great authority in the company. What do you say? May I join?" In a last attempt to make the elf go away Smaug let her head drop. Anwyn toom this as a sign of acceptance and smiled before she turned and left. Smaug's eyes scanned over the frame of the human. Isildur may had become king but his reign was short and that was thanks to the ghastly piece of gold he could not cast away. When her eyes travelled to the shadowy figure, they narrowed as growl rumbled deeply inside her throat.

A whispering sound was heard and she snapped her eyes from the painting and scanned the surroundings. Nothing was to be seen but still the sound whispered in her ears. She followed it. Only stopping shortly at a large statue holding something of great importance. Though it was merely a broken artifact now, she could tell its time would come again. The sound let her to a courtyard. She did not enter but hid in the shadows instead. From here, she could see a large table and the people gathering around it. She could clearly tell who these persons were. Gandalf and Elrond were both present but so was the white elven queen, Galadriel. Gandalf greeted her with respect. Then a new voice was heard from the other side of the yard. Smaug narrowed her eyes at the white wizard. Saruman and Gandalf took seat at the table while Elrond remained in the background. Galadriel wandered thoughtfully around the table as she listened to what Gandalf had to say. Saruman dismissed Gandalf's tellings from what the company had encountered on their way, "Always you must meddle. Looking for trouble where none exist". "Let him speak" the elven lady interrupted Saruman. Gandalf continued, "There is something at work beyond the evil of Smaug" Said person narrowed her eyes hearing this but remembered Gandalf had yet to involve the White Council in their plan. Nor that she was accompanying the dwarves. Gandalf tried to explain the seriousness of what may come yet Saruman dismissed it and instead this so called necromancer to be no more than a human experimenting magic. When Gandalf mention Radagast Saruman interrupted him, "Radagast? Do not speak of Radagast the Brown. He is a foolish fellow" The white wizard continued but Gandalf did not seem to hear anything he said. Smaug noticed, opposite Saruman, that Gandalf turned just slightly towards Galadriel. She stared at him, "You carry something. It came to you from Radagast. He found it in Dol Guldur". Smaug closed her eyes when the speech through mind was used it was harder to hear what was being said. Smaug however was the only one as far as she knew who could access such conversations. Gandalf answered the queen who asked him to show the object. Gandalf laid the package from Radagast on the table and it sounded like he had laid a large stone. It sent angry shivers down Smaug's spine. The council grew and anxious at the reveal of the Morgul blade. While Elrond and Galadriel took this as a sign that, what Gandalf had said might be true Saruman remained unconvinced. While Saruman began his long speech again Galadriel and Gandalf engaged in another conversation in the mind. Smaug widened her eyes in anger. He knew?! The dwarves had left Elrond's kingdom. She debated with herself. Should she follow them now or wait. She found rather unappealing to run after those blasted dwarves, no, she would wait and see where they headed or follow Gandalf.

The meeting had ended not long after. Elrond had received troubling news that one of his huntresses had left with the dwarves. He had left the scene in hurry. Saruman went away shortly after and now only Gandalf and Galadriel stood in the courtyard. The sun had begun to rise. Galadriel urged Gandalf to be careful. She was aware of the threat lurking in the shadows. Smaug had to admit the Elf queen might be more insightful than she let on. As Gandalf was to depart she stopped him. She wondered about the Halfling. Smaug leaned forward. She was also curious as to why Gandalf wanted the little creature around, Yes Mithrandír, why the Halfling?" She whispered to herself. Gandalf thought for a moment, "Well I don't know. Saruman believes that it is only great power that can hold the evil in check but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small things. Everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love." Smaug tilted her head. Gandalf continued, "Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I'm afraid. It gives me courage" Galadriel took his hands. Smaug did not hear what she said from this point until the queen raised her voice to both Gandalf's and her own surprise, "If I have deemed myself worthy thereof. I would be delighted to see your face. Please come into the light." Smaug did not hesitate a stepped out in the courtyard. Galadriel eyes held a glimpse of surprise yet remained unfazed. Opposite Gandalf who carried a nervous expression. Galadriel was the first to speak, "you are a silent listener young one". Smaug stared at her and she continued, "I believe you have travelled far and have brought many tidings with you some I have heard myself as you would already know" Smaug smiled, "Indeed Lady Galadriel. I have brought these dark tidings with me from my travels towards the western lands so they would end here" Smaug looked at Gandalf, "I am glad they did," she genuinely said. This eased Gandalf's tense posture. Galadriel looked between the two, "I have a feeling I am the only one present who does not know what to call you. What is your name?" Smaug looked at her, "I go by Frey". Galadriel considered this for a moment, "You must hasten Mithrandír. The dwarves are travelling fast and they need your guidance. Gandalf nodded and went through the entrance. Smaug was about to follow when Galadriel turned to her " I know your causes but not your intentions yet I hope we will have the last great firedrake from the North on our side in the battles to come." Smaug looked into her eyes, "my answer lies in the actions I have done up until now. If they prove valuable you will know my allegiance yet I will stray from own quest" They both narrowed their eyes. "I suppose that is all I can ask for now and trust you in the matter and take your word for truth yet I hope the bloodshed in the time to come will not be too grand" Smaug nodded " As do I". Later both Smaug and Gandalf were riding away from Rivendell as they followed the tracks of the company.