Chapter 3: A Pony that Prances

¤ Bree ¤

The weather in Bree just would not make up its mind whether the sun should be shining from a cloudless sky, or if the rain should fall in what would seem like eternity. This evening it was a particular dreadful weather and everything was soaked to the core. Yet there was quite a few townsfolk who defied the weather and ventured out on the street. Most of them heading to nearby taverns or pups to get some refreshments in their lamentable subsistence. One of these characters seemed to rage lower than other folk yet higher than the few hobbits who had dared to venture away from their homes in the Shire. The dwarf, because that is what he was, throbbed through the mud without even glimpsing his surroundings until he stood at the entrance of The Prancing Pony. It was a warm place yet it was a tavern like all others and that meant drunk people and fights. The dwarf in the dark cloak looked over his shoulder to ensure no one had followed him, and then he stepped into the tavern. The tavern was not out of the ordinary. There was a dim light from the candles and the smell of ale was evident. Drug men and women filled the room with laughter and high-pitched songs, yet the owners and workers were kind and sober and they fought a great fight balancing the trays of food through the masses. The dwarf was served a plate of food and found it pleasing but he soon realised he was being watched. He looked to his right and saw a bald man sitting in the corner starring at him and when he turned left, he saw a bearded one. He reached for his sword as the brutes began to rise from their tables but in the exact same moment, someone sat down by his table. The two men retreated immediately. The man in front of him wore a grey cape and large hat in the same colour. His beard was long and grey and he had brought a large staff. The dwarf knew who this man was. The man ordered some food and presented himself "Hello my name is Gandalf, Gandalf the Grey" the dwarf almost cut him of "I know who you are" This seemed to please the wizard though. Then he asked, "What brings Thorin Oakenshield to Bree?" Thorin, because that was his name, was not keen to answer the wizard but told him anyway he was searching for his father the wizard however told him this quest was in vain. While the wizard was served his food, Thorin asked, "My father went to see you before he went missing. What did you say to him?" Gandalf looked at him with a thoughtful look, as if he was considering something " He was eager to take back the Lonely Mountain and I definitely did not contradict him" he looked Thorin in the eyes " I will say the same to you. Take back your homeland" Thorin considered Gandalf's words. This thought had crossed his mind ever so often yet he had not done anything to bring it to reality. It was a dangerous quest, which could not be done alone. He was in need of men. He then realised that Gandalf might not be here by coincidence " This is no chance meeting". It was verified, when Gandalf told Thorin of his worries concerning Erebor, "sooner or later, darker minds will turn towards Erebor" What did the wizard mean? Thorin could not imagine anything but the hideous dragon having any interest in his gold. His rightful inheritance. He could not rule the golden city while the beast lay snoring on it with his belly full of his dwarven kin. Pleased with his murdering and destruction. Thorin had sworn revenge the same day he heard the winds from the North and saw the bright colours of dragon fire engulf the city of Dale and its surrounding lands. Whatever, so called "darker minds ", Gandalf spoke of they could not be as important as his new established quest. Then Gandalf handed him a message written in black speech. A ransom... on his head. He could no longer wait. He had to unite the 7 armies and journey to the Lonely Mountain but that was near impossible. He did not have the Arkenstone. Gandalf then offered his help. "How? The Arkenstone lies half a world away buried beneath the feet of a firebreathing dragon" Thorin said. The wizard however had already an answer "Yes that is true. Which is why we will need a burglar". Thorin eyed him suspiciously. "No man can steal from a dragon no matter how strong his arm or how sharp his spear" Gandalf smiled " That I know" he smiled, "I never said it was a man or even human though". Thorin was not convinced, "and who would help you find this burglar? I will travel at first light to the Blue Mountains to gather the 7 armies and will not be at your assistance" The wizard smiled wider "Which is why I have enlisted the help of an old friend of mine"