Chapter 25: The Lake Shall Shine and Burn

Gandalf gazed into the horizon. This had not been his intention but it had happened anyway. They were on their own now and had to manage without his aid. He had been right after all. The darkness had returned. He had sensed it and so had Smaug. It was the reason why she had left the security of the mountain and sought him out. His thoughts wandered to the she drake. When he had left the company he had trusted her to take care of them. He knew it would be hard on her but she had given him her word. Yet he still wondered. The dwarves had a habit of keeping secrets from him and while Thorin might have sought his advice on many a thing, they had not discussed what might happen after they reached the mountain. Gandalf had planned to be there and had warned them not to enter the mountain. He knew his sense of diplomacy was greater than any of the others', including Smaug, and this would be needed when it would be revealed who "Fray" truly was. Now without him he could only imagine what might happen. Knowing Thorin he was certain the company would just barge in and claim their right. He sighed. Knowing Smaug she had surely split with the company once, they were no longer in the dangers of Mirkwood. They might even had reached the Woodland Realm and Smaug, he knew, had more than a few things to discuss with the king. He found himself worrying. What would happen if Smaug decided enough was enough and released her rage. She would undoubtedly turn against the people of Lake Town and he would be here. In a cage. She was unstoppable and not even he could handle her with force but he would be the only one, besides from the Lady Galadriel, to talk sense into her. Neither of them were likely to be there if it happened. If it was not already over.

Even from his cell, Bard could feel the earth rumble and see the light from mountain. The dragon had awoken and was now coming to burn the town. He thought of Bain and the black arrow and hoped he had had luck hiding it. It was the last one known and he would soon need it. However, first he had to get out. But how? He wished he had someone to help him. One who was stronger than his son was. He did not know who it could possibly be but then he had a thought. If he could tell Bain to find the red headed woman who almost stabbed her knife into his skull. It had sunk halfway into the wooden house wall and such an act equalled a great amount of strength. He could see the town square from his window but could not see Bain. People had begun to run around. Confused and scared of what was happening. He realised he was on his own. He looked through the bars and up to the sky. The clouds were dark and grey but just in a glimpsing moment a large dark shadow swept through them and disappeared. Bard needed no one to tell him what it was. Even though he had never seen a dragon before he was in no doubt of what it was. He tried to peck the lock but it was no use and ran to the window facing the square. People screamed and ran to their boats with what belongings they could bear. What felt like a hurricane suddenly swept down over the rooves, shaking the wooden houses as the sky was concealed by the enormous form of the dragon. People screamed and cried louder than they previously had, fell, and pushed each other to get to the remaining boats, dropping their belongings in the process. Bard watched in horror as the serpent rose to the sky before turning sharply and dived. Even from his cell, he could see the creature's chest light up as it levelled and crooked its head back before releasing a giant wave of fire upon the city. It left a trail of fire in its wake but it was not done. The dragon turned and came down again just like before and a new trail of burning houses was created. The dragon did it again and again. The city was aflame and nothing was left unscathed. Bard tried to break the bars but ad little success and could only watch in horror as the giant flames roared towards the sky and people, some burning, ran for what little cover they could find. Then he smelled it. The burning flesh. Then he got an idea. He began to tie the sheets from his bed together. He had just finished when he heard a familiar shout, "Faster, faster!" That treacherous basterd! He was saving his own skin. However his presence presented him with an opportunity. He threw the homemade rope outside and it got wriggled around the master just as his boat passed under the cell. Bard quickly tied his end to the bars. The rope tightened and the master began to whine since the rope had caught him and was now pressing him against the railing. The rope held however and the bars gave in to the pressure. Bard was free.