Chapter Twenty-One-Questions

Violet's POV

We reached the police station and followed the policemen through the corridor, down some stairs, and went into an interrogation room. The room had a metal table on the middle with three chairs on one side and one chair in the opposite side. The walls were gray and there was a weird looking window to my right.

The three policemen removed our handcuffs. Zoey and I rubbed our wrists and looked at Wes who didn't have the same reaction as us. He rushed over to me and hugged me. I was shocked but hugged him back since his whole body was shaking.

"Wes," I whispered in his ear, "what's wrong? Are you feeling alright?"

"N-no. I saw her. I-I could've saved her," he replied.

My brow furrowed in confusion. "Who Wes? You mean you could've saved mom?" I felt him shake his head 'no.' I knew he meant Kaelyn. "Kaelyn's gone. You're hallucinating. Listen, I'll have one of the policemen take you home. You need-"

Wes hugged me tighter. "No! I'm not leaving you!" He exclaimed.

I gently got him to let go of me and I held him at arms length. His face was tear streaked and he still was shaky. His usual bright blue eyes were a dull blue. I gently brushed away the tears from his face. I looked over at one of the policemen who came over and explained to my brother that Zoey and I will be fine. He also explained to Wes that the two of them will sit outside of the room.

I watched as Wes looked at me then back at the policemen. He told the policemen that he'll go outside and wait. Before they went out, I walked over to Wes and cupped his head in my hands. Our forehead touched.

"We'll be fine and we'll see you in a few minuets, okay?" I said

"Okay," he replied.

I smiled, let go of him and joined Zoey. Wes and the policemen walked out and the other two motioned us over at the table. Zoey and I went over. I notice the one with gray eyes and black hair had a notepad and a pen. As soon as we sat down, the other one asked,

"What's your full name? The blonde one first."

I glared at the policemen who had dark green eyes and red hair.

"Violet Faith Young," I muttered in response.

The policemen on the right wrote that down. The one on the left asked Zoey.

"Zoey Owens," she stated.

I noticed the badges on the police men's uniforms. The one of the left said 'Officer Harrison' and the one on the right said 'Officer Tom.'

"No middle name Zoey?" Officer Harrison asked.

Zoey shook her head 'no' and he continued with the questions. He asked us different ones like where we were when we heard the gun shots, what we did when we heard the gun shots and other stuff. The two of us kept quiet. Officer Harrison's face was bright red with anger when he finally gave up an hour later.

"You two can go," he grumbled, "I'll see if I can get any answers out of that emotional kid next."

"His name is Wes," I told him.

Officer Harrison glared at us as we got up and rushed out of the room. As soon as we stepped out of the room, Wes threw his arms around me and buried his head into my shoulder. I rubbed his back and told him he needed to go in and answer the questions. He let go of me and asked,

"Can you be with me?"

I was going to say "no." But we made eye contact. His blue eyes showed fear and were brimmed with tears. I could tell he needed support. I smiled and nodded my head. Wes smiled back and together we went back into the room.

Zoey's POV

I stood by the third policemen named Jason Smith as I watched Wes answer the questions with Violet's help. Wes looked terrified. Every time he was asked a question he'd look at Violet then back at the policemen and then he answered the question. I felt sorry for Wes. I figured he must be tired and confused. Then, after an hour of asking him questions, the policemen asked him,

"Do you think your dad is capable of murdering someone?"

My mouth hung opened in shock. Why in the world would he ask that?! I thought. Wes burst into tears instead of answering and Violet was comforting him and ignoring the policemen. She got to her feet and somehow got Wes to stand up and together they made their way out of the room. I walked over to Wes and helped him stand up. His sobs had died down to a silent crying as we walked up stairs and out of the police station.

The rain stopped and I saw my parents van waiting for us out front. Dad got out and helped Wes get in the car. I sat beside Aidan while Wes and Violet sat in the back of the van. Mom, Aidan and dad didn't ask any questions as we headed towards home. I glanced behind me and saw that Wes was resting his head against his sisters shoulder. His eyes were also closed. I smiled.

"He needs the rest," I whispered to her.

Violet nodded her head in agreement and put her arm around Wes' shoulder. I looked ahead and stared out the window until we reached home a few minuets later. We got out and dad carried Wes inside and placed him in the guest room near the front of the house.

I looked at Violet who had a sad look on her face. Without a word, I led her upstairs to my room. I went to my desk chair and sat down while she went on my bed. We made eye contact as I asked,

"Do you wanna talk?"