Part Twenty-Nine: Secrets Revealed

Albus sat on the couch and made circular patterns with his thumb on his knee, feeling very out of sorts. He faced the front door and would look up hopefully every time a family member carrying a different dish and look back down, physically disappointed.

"Alby!"

Albus felt some-what muscular arms wrap around his shoulders, the person's hands linking together on Albus' chest.

"Don't do that, " Albus said, pushing the arms off of him. He turned his head around and added, "I didn't see you come in, Teddy."

Teddy's golden eyes danced as he asked, "Did you miss me, Alby?"

Albus smirked and shook his head. "Did you miss me, Teddy Bear?"

Teddy clutched the fabric of his dark pink sweater that was over his heart with both hands, squeezing his eyes shut, his hair turning grey and falling limply to his shoulders instead of being lush and teal. "Albus, you wound me."

Albus smiled and let out a laugh, but it quickly faltered. Maybe he was having too much fun.

Teddy noticed and asked in a quiet tone, "Did I say something?"

Albus shook his head as James came up to them and bumped his hip into Teddy's shoulder. "Hey, Teddy."

"Hey, Jamie," Teddy replied with a smile, his hair going back to how it usually was; lush, soft, and a seafoam teal color. He made his roots purple just like James' sweater.

Albus heard the door open again and turned his head so fast that his neck cramped. He groaned and saw that it was his Uncle Charlie, Ron, Hermione, Rose, and Hugo. Albus frowned and he looked down in disappointment.

"Nice to see you too, Albus," Rose said with a laugh. Albus didn't laugh and instead, shrugged half-heartedly. Rose sat down next to Albus, saying hi to James and Teddy, who was sitting on the other side of the couch, laughing at something Teddy had said. "Where's Scorp...?"

Rose trailed off when she saw her cousin's face. He looked so sad and hurt.

"Take a wild guess."

Rose whispered, "I'm sorry."

"I don't care. It's fine, " Albus replied with a nonchalant shrug, shaking his head. He let out a breath and stood up angrily. "I'll be right back."

The moment he placed his foot on the first step of stairs, his father asked over the obvious noise, "Albus, where are you going?"

"I need a minute, " Albus explained simply, not looking up from the ground. He sat down at the edge of his bed and closed his eyes, taking deep breaths and clasping his hands together.

He felt exhausted already and felt like he was having a breakdown. Albus turned his head and made sure nobody was at his door before pulling out one of the headache draught potions and drinking it quickly, hiding the bottle in his desk.

He waited a minute before walking out and closing the door behind him. He walked back downstairs and Ron pulled him aside and hugged him. Albus was very confused before Ron whispered, "I saw him the other day."

Albus' breath hitched.

"Don't..." Albus muttered.

"He looked so sad and he looked like he hadn't slept."

Albus pushed his uncle off of him and said, "Don't tell me how sad he is. I don't want to hear it, "

He went back to the couch and sat down silently, Rose now gone and talking to Dominique. James and Teddy were still laughing and talking. Albus sat back down and relaxed his mind, making all of the hectic holiday noise turn into white noise.