Chapter 17

Hi everyone! So for this chapter, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to do Riley or Levi's POV so I decided to do both. Enjoy!

Riley's POV

I didn't want to believe it. Levi had been so happy, happier than I had ever seen him in years. Then he came home from Jay's almost a week ago, sobbing into my arms about how Jay was a lair, a fraud, another person's fiance. Even after I had managed to calm him down, I still didn't totally understand what had happened until Levi told the whole story. He explained how Jay's mom was in his house alone, that she had spilled how Jay was engaged and when Jay had come back, he had confirmed it. 

My head had been swimming, trying to sort through the anger, confusion, and sadness to try and be there for my brother and offer him good advice. But despite the fact that Jay had packed up and left before I had convinced Levi to go back the next morning, I couldn't believe that that was all there was to it. 

I didn't believe that Jay had come here for some fling before getting married. Or, at the very least, I didn't believe that Jay cared so little about us, about Levi, to just up and leave with no explanation. Not without foul play, anyway. I didn't know much about Jay's past, but I knew he wasn't on good terms with any of his family. Overall, the whole situation didn't make sense. 

Levi, however, didn't seem to think the same way that I did. After returning from Jay's empty home the morning after their fight, he told me that all that was left there was some furniture and his phone. Levi had been practically blank ever since, walking around the house like a zombie. I knew he was trying his best to pretend like he was okay for me and Spencer, he had gone back to work the morning after and everything, but I could see right through him. 

Now it was Friday and we were headed to Mrs, Connolly's house for dinner. Levi had been staring out the window blankly, even with the radio playing some stupid One Direction song. Usually, Levi would've turned it off the second it came on, but his eyes stayed locked on the road. It was starting to scare me how he was acting. Sure, throughout the week, we managed to pull a couple of genuine smiles from him, a laugh or two. The reality was, I hadn't seen him this upset since we lost our parents and Cammy. 

At this point, it even seemed like Spencer could sense the tension and sadness coming from Levi. Just this car ride, he had been quieter than normal, just staring out the window and sucking on his fingers. 

Mrs. Connolly was sitting on her porch waiting for us when we pulled into her driveway, holding a light blue gift bag on her lap. "There are my favorite boys," she said, standing up as we exited the car. 

I smiled returning with a hello in unison with Levi. As we scaled the steps, she held out the bag to Levi as he shifted Spencer up onto his left hip.

"What is this?" He asked as he freed his arm. 

"It's from Jay. I believe he meant for you to have it but he left it on my porch and I haven't seen him since." She smiled happily and I cringed. 

Levi's hand had stopped midway to the bag, his face contorting into a pain-filled expression before it returned to the blank mask he had been sporting. He looked away and then silently made his way inside, holding Spencer tightly to his chest. 

Mrs. Connolly's eyes followed him until he was out of sight before turning back to me. I took the bag from her with a sad smile. "I take it he hasn't told you. A week ago, Levi found out Jay was engaged and when he went back after their fight to get an explanation, Jay was gone. He left and didn't even take his phone so we can't even contact him." I explained, toying with the strings on the bag. 

"Oh, boy. That doesn't really add up, though. Jay had been planning a life here and I could tell he really cared for Levi." She replied, her expression and tone melancholic.