Chapter 16

I just wanted to add a quick disclaimer. This chapter has potentially triggering topics and imagery (i.e. suicidal thoughts). Please take any necessary precaution while reading.

Jay's POV

I could barely feel my knees as they slammed into the pavement. I could barely feel anything past the pain in my chest, weighing me down. 

He was gone. One of the only things I loved in this world-- gone. Not to mention he took with him two more. 

My breathing was harsh, sporadic. My throat was tightening but I couldn't feel any tears coming on. I fell forward, my hands hitting the sidewalk as I caught myself. I could barely think with all the thoughts racing through my head. 

My mother was here. Levi found out that I was engaged. He found out that I lied to him. He hates me. 

"Ugh, would you get up already Jameson? That little show was disgusting. Your title deserves much more than to have that mechanic by your side. Then again, you both deserve much worse for those horrendous habits you have." I turned back to see as my mother scoffed at me, standing on my porch with her arms crossed. She wasn't touching anything, probably because she thought the whole home was disgusting since it wasn't polished marble. 

I looked back at the ground before taking a couple of deep breaths to settle myself. I needed to be strong, centered in order to stand up to my mother. I'd never really done it before but Levi was worth it. The Carpenter boys were worth it. I steeled myself, a glare settling on my face as I stood up and turned to her. 

"You will not speak poorly about Levi. I don't care what you say about me, mother, but I will not stand for you disrespecting him like that. Now, if you are done destroying my relationship, kindly get the hell off my property before I call the cops." I said, voice strong though my insides were quaking. 

The glare my mother returned to me almost had me backing down but a flash of Levi's devastated expression as my mother spilled half-truths to him kept me firmly set. 

Her eyes flared and, if even possible, she stood up straighter. To be honest, she looked downright murderous. "Jameson! How dare you disrespect your mother? After all the trouble you have put us through! Your engagement to the Saint Rose girl almost fell through because of your childish stunt so you are going to go pack right this minute so that this arrangement doesn't crumble. You've seen your father's records, you know how much he needs this union." she snarled at me. The last time I'd seen her this angry was when I came out to her and my father. 

"No," I respond coolly, though my heart is still squeezing and my palms still sweating. "I'm not going back with you. I'm not marrying the Saint-Rose girl and I'm certainly not saving dad's stupid company that he's responsible for destroying. My life is here, my happiness is here and your moronic agenda means nothing to me." I say, walking up the walkway and front porch steps until I'm face-to-face with Lady Satan herself. 

A wicked glint catches her eye and a smirk slides onto her face. "You really think I'm going to let you destroy our family name just because you don't want to; because it won't make you happy? If you refuse to come with me, I'll destroy that boy's life. I'll discredit him, get him fired, make it so he's unable to find a job. If that's not enough, let me remind you that it will take one call from me to get those two boys in his custody taken away from him by CPS. You have no leverage in this situation, you incompetent faggot." 

The wind was knocked out of me and I stumbled just barely catching myself on the porch support column behind me. I couldn't even find it within myself to care about how she demeaned me. No, my only worry was the three boys I cared about most in this world. "No. No, please. I'll come with you." My breath was picking up. I'd seen this all before. I'd seen what she'd done when my sister's ex-boyfriend tried to leak her pregnancy scare story and when she caught my father cheating with a maid. I'd seen how she'd obliterated the lives of those she deemed deserving. I couldn't let that happen to Levi.