Chapter 2

Levi

I lifted Spencer out of his seat and placed him on the ground. I grabbed his little hand as we walked up to Jay's house.

I was kind of surprised he called so soon but I was glad he did. Even if I didn't know him well, I still really liked him. Plus, he passed the Spencer test.

Now I was just nervous because I don't know if he's into guys or maybe if he's homophobic.

I took a deep breath as I walked across the porch with Spencer and knocked on the door.

Behind the door I could hear Jay banging around and talking quietly before opening the door. My hand flies to my mouth to hold in my laughter.

Jay looked similar to how he did earlier, khaki shorts and a green Tshirt. Now, though, he had bubbles on his head.

"Bubba!" Spencer yelled, lifting his arm towards Jay's head. With that, I couldn't hold it in anymore. I burst out in hysterics, causing Spencer to giggle.

"What?" He said, looking nervous. "What's wrong?"

"Bubbles... Head..." I managed to get out in between laughs.

He lifted his hand to his head and blushed as he wiped the bubbles off of his head. I wanted to coo. He was so adorable when he blushed, especially because you wouldn't expect a guy of his size to ever blush.

"Uppa!" Spencer called to Jay, releasing my had and stretching his arms out to Jay.

Before I could protest, Jay had Spencer scooped up into his arms and Spencer was snuggling into him, his tiny arms wrapped around Jay's neck. This surprised me because normally Spencer was shy around new people. This was only the second time he had seen Jay and he already seems to adore him this put a smile on my face.

"Do you want to come in?" Jay said, stepping back from the doorway and leaving room for me to enter.

"Sure," I said, walking in.

After looking at Jay's washing machine, I walked back upstairs but kept quiet when I heard Jay and Spence laughing. At the top of the stairs, I peeked around the corner and nearly burst out laughing.

Scattered across the counter were a bunch of ingredients used to make an ice cream sundae, cartons of ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream. Spencer was sitting on the counter in front of Jay and both of them were covered in whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

Spencer smacked his whipped cream covered hand onto Jay's cheek and slid it down to his chest while giggling.

"Aw, Spence." Jay said between laughs. "You got me!"

I smiled, coming around the corner. "Boy, do you two know how to make a mess." I laughed. They both looked up at me.

"Da! I dowty!" Spencer said, giggling.

"Yeah, you are. You're very dirty." I responded.

"Sorry," Jay said, not meeting my eyes. He blushed and rubbed the back of his neck. "Things may have gotten a little out of hand."

"It's fine, Jay. You looked like you were having fun." I smiled.

He smiled shyly in return. "Yeah, we did." He lifted Spencer into his arms. "Do you want me to give him a bath here? I can lend him one of my shirts so he doesn't have to go home dirty."

"Would you mind?" I asked.

"No! Not at all." He smiled. "Follow me." He said, leading me down the hall past the basement door and into what looked like his bedroom. The room looked normal. A queen bed with a brown comforter pushed against the wall to the left, a dresser with a mirror to the right, a closet to the left of the bed, and a door just past the dresser.

Jay kept walking through to the door past the dresser and I quickly followed him. Inside was a smallish bathroom with a shower/tub, toilet, and sink. All three of us could fit pretty comfortably in there, though.

"Alright, bud. Bath time." Jay said, putting Spencer down and going to turn on the bath. "Come on, clothes off." He said, turning back to Spencer after getting the water running.

I stood against the wall next to the door, watching them interact and it was amazing. From the little I've seen of him, I could tell how caring Jay was just by how he treated Spencer. A lot of people wouldn't treat Spencer right, me right because of our situation. Jay, however, didn't treat me any different knowing Spencer was my son and that made me really happy.

I zoned back into the moment and watched as Jay used a washcloth to scrub at all of the chocolate and whipped cream on Spencer while holding a conversation with him.

The smile on Jay's face made my stomach flutter and my heart pound.

When he turned his smile on me, I couldn't help grinning back. His cheeks turned pink and  his smile became more shy.

"What are you smiling at?" He asked.

"You." I responded. He blushed harder and broke eye contact, watching Spencer splash around in the tub. "You're great with him. He doesn't normally open up to people as quickly as he opened up to you. There must be something special about you." I smirked, loving the dark red color covering the back of his neck.

"Th-Thanks." He responded.

I walked over and helped him finish up washing Spencer. Jay grabbed two Tshirts from his drawers for Spencer and himself to wear before leading us back to the living room.

"So for the washing machine, it's just old and rusty. You're going to need a new one because I don't think anyone can fix it." I said to him, watching as Spencer sat on Jay's lap, playing with the necklace he was wearing.

"Okay. Thanks for coming by the way. I've never really had to worry about stuff like this before." He didn't meet my eyes and I could see the blush rising on his cheeks.

I smiled. "First time on your own?" I asked. He kept his eyes trained on whatever it was he was looking at and his face dropped. "Yeah. I lived with my parents up until I came here. We were pretty well off so I never had to do anything like this."

I understood that this was a sore topic for him and that he probably didn't want to talk about it so I decided to change the subject.

"You know, Spencer, Riley, and I are going to the beach next Saturday. Did you want to come with us?" I asked.

His head shot up. "Really?" I almost laughed at his reaction, his childlike excitement was adorable.

"Yeah. The beach is always more fun with friends." I said, not being able to stop my smile at Jay's huge grin.

"I would definitely want to go. I haven't been to a beach since I was 14." He said.

"Alright, I'll pick you up on our way there." I responded with a smile, watching as Jay played with Spencer with a new animated aura.

After a while longer of letting Jay play with Spencer, I knew it was time to go. "Alright, I think Spencer and I better get going now. I need to put him down for a nap." I stood up and Jay followed suit, lifting Spencer with him.

The happy expression on his face had fallen and I could tell he was trying not to show his disappointment.

"So we'll see you on Saturday, alright? Maybe even before then if you have washing machine issues." I joked to cheer him up a little. He must be lonely here.

A small genuine smile took over his features and he nodded. "Yeah. I'll make sure to call you up next time."

I laughed as I took Spencer from Jay and we walked over towards the door with Spencer whining and wanting to go back to Jay. 

"Thank you so much for coming on such short notice. I really appreciate it." He said, playing with his hands.

"No problem, Jay." I had fun and I'm sure Spence liked getting out of the house." I responded.

"Yeah, I was happy to have you. You're welcome here any time." He said with a smile.

I nodded. "See you." I said walking out the open door, holding a fidgety, whiny Spencer. When I heard the door click shut, I looked back and smiled before making my way towards my car.