ch. 20: Figuring it out pt. 3

We sit at a table in one of the various rooms waiting to be served by one of the crew members. I sit on facing Zuko and with Iroh to my right.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll do better I prooomise~." I sigh while rolling my eyes. "How was I supposed to know his feathers would fall like that?"

Iroh laughs, "If you had been more carful, you could've avoided that mess entirely."

I pout a little. "It's not funny! Do you know how hard it is to clean up a pile of feathers! Uggh I should've just tossed em into the ocean!"

"That's disgusting." Zuko says, sounding disinterested.

I raise an eyebrow. "More disgusting than having molted feathers litter your ship?"

Zu sighs, "Fair point."

"But still, you should dispose of them properly after dinner." Iroh added.

I whine like a child, "Whaddya want me to do? Burn em? They'd stink up the ship, and the harbor, for weeks!" I put my head down on the table, faking being upset. Iroh laughs and pats me on the head while Zu just groans like he's fed up with my stupid act.

Earlier today I was getting ready to dispose of Kai's old feathers when I got a little..... distracted.
What kind of teenager just plays with fire shirtless on a ship in the middle of the ocean!? What is wrong with me? I just stood and stared at him for a good five minutes without even realizing!
Why did I stare anyway...?

I groan keeping my head down, trying not to think about what had happened today, but of course, when you try not to think about something-

I can't be over thinking this, right? He's just a kid! Wait, I'm a kid too... But that's not the point. I'm his friend, his best friend! And honestly, probably the only one he's got besides Uncle Iroh.... it's times like this is wish I could remember the show! Ugggh why did I have to be a teen again I don't know what I'm feeling!

"The avatar is on Kyoshi Island!? May, Uncle. Ready the rhinos, he's not getting away from me this time!"

I jump at Zu's sudden orders then sigh realizing it's about the Avatar. "Geez, you'd think he's your lost lover or something." I mumble just loud enough for Iroh to hear.

Iroh chuckles, covering his mouth to suppress his laughter. Once he's calmed down enough, he points at the cooked fish that was placed before us. "Are you going to finish that?" He asked Zu.

Zu walks back into the room and takes the plate. "I was going to save it for later!" He storms out of the room again.

Iroh and I make sure he's gone before breaking out into laughter again.

"He would kill you if you had said that to his face!" He holds his stomach, laughing."

"Pfft- as if! He'd just yell at me and be like-" I clear my throat and try to make my best Zuko impression, putting on a fake angry expression. "'What are you implying! How dare you say something like that! There is no way that's true! Say something like that again and your so off this ship!'" I start coughing while trying to laugh and end up falling on my back.

"Was that supped to be an impression of me?"

I look up and see Zu standing over me, which immediately makes Iroh and I stop laughing. He doesn't look 'angry' but he's definitely not happy. Which means.. I'm in trouble, again!

__________________

Zuko nagged me for a good few minutes in how I should show him more respect and that I shouldn't make jokes like that, but other than that he was pretty cool about it, surprisingly so. The ship is now on its way to the island in which the Avatar has been spotted.

"When we get to Kyoshi, you aren't allowed to leave this ship."

"What! Why?!" I stare at Zu in confusion. "What if I wanna explore huh? Not like you can stop me, but like... Why?"

He grumbles, "You don't want to be involved in this war right? So just stay out of it."

I nod with a smile on my face, I'm glad that he remembered. "You're right about that and I will stay out of your little fight, but why can't I leave the ship?"

He turns away from me. "I don't want you being caught in the crossfire."

"Awe, it almost sounds like you wanna protect me~." I tease, trying not to read too much into what he had said.

"That's exactly what I'm saying!" He clenches his fist and lowers his voice to a whisper. "Just...stay put this time, May." He walks walks way, leaving me behind with my thoughts.

I touch my, probably rosy, cheeks feeling the heat on my finger tips. It doesn't take a genius to know that I'm blushing like an idiot.
What was that about!? That was...so unlike him.

I watch him as he disappears behind the door, my heart beat seems to echo in my head.

"......Kai, you were right...." I cover my face with both hands and wait to hear Kai's squawking behind me, basically saying "right about?"

"....I like him....."