Chapter 8: Butterflies

Roc Royal’s POV

Yeah, she cried. But at the end of the night, I got a kiss on the cheek. Did Princeton get a kiss on the cheek from Janelle? Maybe. Maybe he got a kiss on the cheek from Janelle and Bianca. But either way, Janelle likes me and I like her.

That’s the best feeling I’ve had in a while.

It was 1:00 in the afternoon and I didn’t feel like being around the other boys. So I took a walk outside, just to smell the fresh air and think about my date with Janelle last night. When I  mustered up the courage to ask her out, I never thought it would turn out that amazing.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I smiled; finally, Janelle was calling me.

But when I looked at the caller ID, it didn’t say Janelle. It said Sapphire.

First of all, this was the absolute worst time for Sapphire to call me. And I clearly remember her telling me she would lose my number.

I guess she lied.

“Hello?” I answered. I stopped to sit against a gate on the ground.

“Hey.” She said. Then I was silent. I was actually hoping she would just get tired of waiting for me to say something or think the call dropped and hang up the phone. But that didn’t happen.

“How’ve you been?” Sapphire asked.

“I’ve been…fine.” I said quietly. Then she sighed on the other end. For a moment I thought she was going to cry, but then she breathed in a few times, and began spilling all her feelings out to me.

“Roc, look…I’m sorry, okay? I was stupid. I mean, I should be happy that I even got the opportunity to be your girlfriend and millions of girls want you. I kind of forgot about the fact that I’m not that special. But it’s just that sometimes, you’re a bit careless with our relationship. But you know what? I’m careless too. So let’s just forget about all of that and start over. Please, Roc. I still love you. We can work this out.”

When she was finished speaking, I felt strange. I couldn’t find the words. Usually, I would say something super-sweet to her if she’d said something like that to me. But now, the words just weren’t coming to mind. I couldn’t say anything romantic without it being a lie.

“Um….Sapphire I gotta go. Ray needs me for something. I’ll call you back later.” I said. I didn’t wait for her reply; I immediately hung up the phone. Obviously, Ray-Ray was nowhere around here. I’d just lied to her. But I couldn’t get away from the lies; if I told her that I loved her too I would be lying. What was I supposed to do?

I swallowed, pulled the hood of my black sweater over my head, stuffed my phone in my pocket, and kept walking.

                                                             * * *

“I’m walking down the block.” I said to her on the phone.

“Hurry up, Roc! I need to get out of this house.” She replied. I laughed, and then she laughed…Her laugh was so sweet.

“Ok, I’m at the door.” I said to her.

“Don’t ring the doorbell. I’m coming down.” Janelle replied. She hung up the phone and I did the same. The minute I hung up the phone, I got another call from Sapphire. She’d been calling me all day. But I had been on the phone with Janelle all day.

I felt guilty about not feeling guilty.

The door suddenly opened and Janelle came out looking really pretty, and she was about to step out of the house when her father called her name. She frowned.

“Come here.” She said. I hesitated, and then followed her back into the house. It was huge. I mean, I’d been in large houses before, but this one….it was memorable.

Janelle led be to the living room, where a woman who was probably her mother was sitting next to a boy who looked exactly like Janelle (which was probably her brother) on one couch, and her father was sitting next to Bianca on the other one.

Bianca waved at me. “Is Princeton with you?” She asked. I shook my head. Then she turned back around.

“Where you going?” Janelle’s father asked. He seemed kind of caught off guard by seeing me. I guess Janelle hadn’t told him she was going somewhere with me.

“Out. I’ll be back before midnight.” She replied, then started to walk back towards the door. I didn’t follow her immediately. I saw her father staring at me with this sly look in his eyes, and a tiny smirk on his face…then he snorted a little, and turned around.

So I left with Janelle.

“This is so amazing Roc. I mean, it’s just beautiful!” Janelle said, running along the bright green grass. I took her one of my favorite places to go—the back of a popular museum, which was a huge field of green grass, with a giant marble statue of a man on a horse in the middle of the field. The air was fresh, and it just felt free.

The stars glistened in the night sky above us, and everything was quiet.

I wanted to reply, “You’re beautiful.” But I couldn’t. We weren’t nearly that comfortable with each other yet. So I held myself back.

“I know. I like it too.” I replied, jogging to catch up with her. We were walking side-by-side now toward the statue, which had little circles in the grass surrounding it, out of which water was gushing up and down.

“Walk through the water?” She asked. I nodded, so we both walked through two of the places where water was spurting out from to sit on the grass, resting our backs against the statue.

“This is just…great. No one ever took me somewhere like this. This means a lot, Roc.” Janelle said, her voice silky and smooth. God, I loved the way she said my name.

“You’re welcome. I knew you’d like it here.” I said. I had to raise my voice over the water. She said something in return, but I couldn’t hear her over the water. So she slid over a little closer to me, and closer again, until our legs and arms were touching.

I froze.

“I said you look nervous.” She said into my ear. I smiled. I was nervous. But she wasn’t supposed to know that.

“I’m not really nervous.” I replied. When I said this, I turned my head toward her so that my lips were just a few inches away from her ear….she bit her lip.

“Are you sure?” Janelle asked.

“Yeah.” I replied. She came closer; so close that her elbow was on top of mine, and my leg was almost on top of hers.

“So I don’t make you nervous at all?” She asked. Of course she did. But I liked that.

“I mean…maybe a little. Maybe your smile, and the way you smell, and how you’re blushing right now…Little things like that about you make me nervous. But in a good way.” I whispered to her. When I mentioned her blushing, she blushed even more. “Do I make you nervous?” I asked.

“Hmm…Just your lips. They make me melt sometimes.” She whispered back. Then I licked my lips, and she squeezed her arm. I was enjoying this so much.

“Your lips aren’t half bad either.” I said to her. She smiled, and looked up at me. We locked eyes, and a tingly sensation just went through my body.

I reached over and touched her face, and brought it a little closer to mine…I heard her do that little gasping thing that girls do. Then I brought us closer, and she wrapped her arm around my waist and pulled my body closer to hers….

And then I leaned in, and our lips were touching. Hers were just so soft and subtle…I pressed mine onto hers a little more, and then she pushed back. It was hesitant at first, but then I opened my mouth and she did the same, and let me tongue enter her mouth, and she put hers into mine, and our mouths separated a little, she gasped, and then we went at it again…

Look, I don’t want to be too descriptive, but you get the idea of what happened. And my phone rang after that.

I didn’t pick it up.