Chapter 33: Surprise

Janelle’s POV:

Here’s how things played out tonight.

I was up in my dorm ignoring Mavia. I was mad at her for coming up here and ignoring me instead of apologizing like she should’ve. I was also mad at myself for thinking that she was flirting with Chresanto while I was gone, because as soon as she came up here, she was all lovey-dovey on the phone with Sean (I thought she didn’t have a phone, but whatever). She didn’t seem interested in Chres one bit.

But while we were in the room giving each other the cold shoulder, I got a knock on the door.

The secretary came up and told me that my parents called and said they’d be here in an hour. Knowing that I’d probably never see Mavia again, I decided to make up with her. I couldn’t leave on a bad note with her.

So we made up, we hugged, and I left. Mr. Jackson, his secretary, and some guards saw me out of the building, which is where I saw the boys. I gave Chresanto a piece of my mind, but he apologized, so I silently forgave him. We walked up to what we thought was my parents’ car. When the door opened, we saw an unfamiliar man and a girl, who just happened to be Bianca.

“I said get in the car,” She repeated. We all piled into the car and the man drove speedily away, away from our experience from the past month or so. Away from the friends we’d made. We were going home.

But we were all staring at Bianca like she had come back from the dead. “What are you doing here? Where’s Mama and Daddy?” I asked her.

“At their home, probably asleep. Why?” She asked in response.

“What you mean ‘why’? Mama and Daddy sent a letter saying they were coming to pick us up, not you.” I replied.

“You still got that letter? Take it out and read the signatures.” Bianca ordered. I took out the letter from my bag and turned on the light above me to read.

“All these signatures are from the boys’ parents and my parents.”

“Look again. See the one at the bottom?”

I looked at the signature at the very bottom, the one I’d never been able to recognize. “Yeah, whose name is that?”

“Mine. All those signatures are forged. I signed the letter to give you a clue that I’d be picking you up. I couldn’t make the signature too clear though, because I didn’t want the dean to see the name.” Bianca explained in a duh tone.

“Wait, hold up. You’re telling me that you wrote that letter to help us escape, and Janelle’s parents didn’t?” Chresanto asked. Bianca nodded.

“They have no idea that y’all are out. That’s why we had to get away from the school before someone suspected something.” She said.

“Wow…we’re fugitives.” Ray-Ray whispered, a smirk creeping onto his lips. I rolled my eyes at him.

“I still have another question.” I said. “Who’s the guy driving?”

The driver chuckled. “I’m Adè. China and I have been seeing each other for some time now.”

China as in Blac Chyna?

“Wait, so you’re Bianca’s father?” Prodigy asked. Bianca shook her head. “Oh. Well, I’m sorry.” Prod added.

“No. Don’t be sorry. I met him, actually. I met my father. It took a lot of work, but my mother finally saw how obsessed I was with trying to find him, so she just told me his whereabouts. I was mad at her for keeping it from me while she knew I wanted to find him, but when I met him, I realized why she did it. He’s a complete scumbag. He wants nothing to do with me, I want nothing to do with him.” Bianca explained sharply. We all stayed silent.

“Well I’m happy you at least found him, babe.” Prince said to her. It was too cute how he called her ‘babe’. I’d almost forgotten they liked each other.

We spent the rest of the driver laughing and talking to Adè. Chresanto asked him why he agreed to help us out, and he said he’d do anything for Bianca. He seemed like a really good guy. I could tell Bianca was happy her mother had found somebody good for her, and China probably was, too.

Soon, we were back home. My heart lifted when I saw my neighborhood. I thought I’d never be back here.

It was pretty late by now. We had to look for a parking spot for a while. Adè seemed tired after he parked the car, so he just got out and walked toward the house. We all did the same. I let the boys walk ahead of us. I wanted to ask her something privately.

“Tell me something, Bee.” I said. It was my first time using Daddy’s nickname for her. “Why did you do it? Why’d you come for us?”

She stopped walking, and so did I. Bianca seriously looked me in the eye. “Janelle, I know we had this 100-year-war thing going on. But that was only because we wanted to get the most attention from Daddy. Now that we know I’m not his daughter, there’s no reason for us to fight. I want us to be friends now. And I figured, since Junior is gone, he would want us to get along. So I’m doing this for him.”

As I looked at Bianca, and reminisced on everything that had happened since Daddy came back early from his tour, I couldn’t do anything but hug her. I pulled her into a big, tight hug. I hugged her for so many reasons. I was proud of her for finally being the bigger person. And I knew she was hurt by my brother’s death. No matter how weird it was that they were supposedly stepsiblings and liked each other, they really did love each other.

But Junior never found out that they weren’t related. If he did, though, I bet he would be thrilled. I bet he would’ve snatched up Bianca as soon as he could.

Unfortunately, he’s not here.

“Janelle, you should come inside.” Chresanto said, coming out of the house. I didn’t even know he already went in. “She looks pissed.

Me and Bianca looked at each other, and then rushed into the house. It was warm, like someone was cooking. Mama was sitting on the sofa next to Daddy looking tired as hell. But she also looks furious, like Chres had warned.

“Come here. Now.” She said as soon as she saw me. Daddy smirked. I could tell he wanted to laugh at Mama’s anger.

I walked over to her and she grabbed me by my sweater. “Did I tell you that you could leave that school? Huh? I didn’t! So why did you leave?!”

I pulled myself away from her. “I wasn’t the one that left. I got picked up. I thought you were picking me up, but it was just Bianca and Adè coming to rescue me.”

Mama looked over at Adè, as if to confirm I was speaking the truth, and he nodded. “Bianca truly begged me to take her to get them.” He said.

Mama laughed and shook her head. “You know what? I’m sorry, baby. It’s good to have you home. Chresanto, I hope your mother won’t be upset with your early return.”

“Nah, she won’t. She’s always easy-going.” Chresanto replied. Mama had a thoughtful look on her face.

“Hmm,” she said, “maybe I should try to be like that. I should try to be a more easy-going parent.” With that, she walked into the kitchen to check on the food. I looked at Daddy, but he just shook his head.

“What’s up with her?” I whispered to him. He motioned for me to follow him. We went up to my room, where I had new, better furniture and clothes. I gasped and squeezed my father tight. “Thank you!”

“I couldn’t wait until you got back home. This helped me not miss you too much.” He replied, hugging me back. “And as for your mother, it’s just those hormones giving her mood swings…”

“What hormones?”

Daddy had the same look on his face that Prince had a few nights ago—like he said something he wasn’t supposed to say. I repeated my question, but Daddy just sat me down on the bed.

“Janelle, while you were gone…Your mom’s pregnant.”