Chapter 24: Surreal.

Chresanto’s POV:

When we got back to Lana’s house, her parents were there. We had to pretend we were just friends coming to visit her. That was okay anyway, since I planned on taking Janelle away from that house. We had to find somewhere else to stay, somewhere far away from Princeton.                               

But I shouldn’t be feeling that way, Janelle should. She’s the one that doesn’t want to be found…I’m just here with her because I love her. Yet she hasn’t been making a big deal about the run-in with Prince. I assumed it was because Lana’s parents were there so she had to pretend everything was alright, but I started doubting that after they went upstairs and we were alone.

“Why are you packing?” She asked me when we were up in the bedroom. I was taking a few of my belongings, folding them, and dropping them in the same bag I came here with.

“Because we need to leave.”

Janelle gave me a puzzled look. “No we don’t.”

“Yes we do. If you don’t want to get caught, I suggest you start packing too.” I replied, a little more sternly than I intended.

“Caught by who?” She asked defiantly.

“Prince.”

“Chresanto, Prince doesn’t know where we are.”

“He’ll come looking for us.”

“And why would he do that?”

“Because he thinks we know where Bianca is, or we can help him find her. He loves her, Janelle. He wants her back.”

As I said that, Janelle turned to look at someone standing in the doorway. I followed her gaze to see Lana standing there staring at me, with an unrecognizable look in her eyes. Was it shock? No, frustration, doubt…anger. She was angry.

“Hi, Lana.” Janelle said softly. She could tell Lana was upset too.

“Who’s Bianca?” Lana asked me. I stumbled for words. Lana wasn’t supposed to know who Bianca was. Especially not with her history of having a bad temper.

“No one.”

No one? Well, it has to be someone, since Prince ‘loves’ her. So who is this chick, huh?” Lana asked provocatively. I couldn’t avoid answering her for much longer, but I did my best by continuing to pack my things in the bag. I gave Janelle a brief look to let her know to start packing too, and she did.

Lana shut the door and marched her way over to me until our faces were just inches away from each other. I zipped the bag closed, put it on my back, and tried to brush past her. She wouldn’t move.

“I’ll let you leave. I’ll let you leave, Roc. But just tell Prince that I know what’s up with him, and I ain’t letting it slide so easy. Okay?”

I nodded. Janelle was looking at us nervously, as if Lana could hurt me. But she couldn’t…she was just upset.

I grabbed Janelle’s arm and pulled her all the way downstairs and out of the house, not looking back. I didn’t know where we were supposed to go—I had assumed maybe my parents, or an old friend that probably lived around here. But now that we’re outside, I realized that all these plans don’t make sense. None of these people would take us in without snitching on us later.

“What do you want to do know?” Janelle asked softly. I looked at her next to me…she looked vulnerable and scared. It was all because of me, bringing her to Lana like a fool instead of bringing her somewhere safer. But then again, I didn’t know Lana would find out about Bianca, and I didn’t know we would see Prince.