Chapter 27: Temporary

Janelle’s POV:

Just like the driver that took us to the funeral home, the driver taking us to Wesley Prestigious Boarding School did not make much small talk with us. He just asked us about our destination, requested our seatbelts to be put on, and apologized for a wrong turn he took.

Chresanto and I followed his lead; we didn’t make much small talk either. The only thing I did was cry, softly and silently. Even Chresanto had watery eyes—but I figured that was just because he saw me crying.

“It’s going to be okay, Janelle.” He said, speaking for the first time in a while. I shook my head.

“No it’s not. They’re sending us away from home, away from our lives, for boarding school.” I said.

He slid his hand into mine, but I didn’t bother interlocking my fingers with his. I wasn’t in that type of mood.

“Look at the bright side. They sent us together. You have me.”

He was right. If my parents were really as evil as I thought they were, they would send me to a different school than Chresanto. But at least they sent us together. Still, it’s cruel.

And I have a strong feeling that Mama had more to do with this than Daddy. The way he was acting when they told me the news…Mama seemed more happy and proud about it than Daddy did. She obviously thought it was right to punish me for trying to deal with my own problems.

I didn’t dwell on it too long. I just held Chresanto’s hand and watched as the car pulled into a lush, green area behind a tall building. The building was made out of solid tan bricks, looking like an ancient European castle. There was a sign in the parking area that read: No Standing. Cars Can Remain Up To Ten Minutes. If You Pass the Limit, You WILL Be Towed.

The driver parked the car without turning it off, implying that he had other things to do. We quickly exited the car and got our things out of the trunk without any help from the driver. Then he sped off, leaving us to stand there looking confused.

“What do we do now?” I asked. Chresanto nodded over to a few people by a grove of trees to our left, each of them holding up signs. Two of them were wearing short black pleated skirts, black-and-gray knitted cardigans, and white Oxford shirts. The other two were wearing black trousers and the same cardigans and shirts.

I followed him over to the four people. As we got closer, I could read their signs. Each of them had the names of random people on their signs…one of the signs read Stevenson, Janelle. The other sign read August, Chresanto.

“Are you Mavia Johnson?” One of the blonde-haired, blue-eyed girls asked me. I shook my head.

“What about you—is your name Sean Mayborne?” One of the sandy-haired, green-eyed boys asked Chresanto. He shook his head also.

“So then you two must be Janelle Stevenson and…Roc Royal.” A girl said, blushing. I could already tell this journey was going to be easier for him than it is for me. He is famous, everyone loves him. Me, on the other hand? I’m Tyga’s daughter, sure, but I’m still less famous and adored than him.

“Yeah, we are.” Chresanto said, smiling. Both of the girls exchanged quick glances, and looked back at us.

“Okay, here we go. Thank you for coming to Wesley Prestigious, and we guarantee your time here will be great. We are members of the school’s Senior Rep and National Honors Society, and each of you will come with us to get your uniforms, dorm rooms, and other sign-up information. We’ll take it from there as to your classes, schedule, etc. Good?”

“Good.” I said. The girl with my name on her sign, a brunette with blue eyes, walked away from the group and toward the building, expecting me to follow. My stomach started to churn as we left Chresanto.

“Wait,” he called before I had the chance to look back at him. “I have a question.”

The girl walked back over to him with a slightly annoyed expression. “Yes?”

“How close are we going to be to each other? Me and Janelle, I mean. I don’t want to be too far away from her. I want to be able to see her every single day. Is that cool?” He asked. I smiled. He asked the one thing both of us had been thinking of.

“The girls are in Wing A, the boys in Wing B. The wings aren’t too far away from each other, but the two genders don’t really interact much. That keeps things in order.” One of the boys explained.

“And if either gender is caught sneaking to the opposite wing, expulsion is the first considered option.” Another added.

Like that would be so bad, I thought.

Chresanto and I hugged one last time, and then we were taken away. I was led to Wing A, a quiet section of the castle-like building with dorms left and right. There was a café and auditorium in the wing, and a big bathroom. Wing A even had its own backyard.

“Here’s your dorm; Dorm 1N. Unpack your clothing in here, and sign-up forms will be brought up to you. I’m not sure if your roommate is in there yet.” The Senior Rep member, Stacey, said to me. I nodded, took my room key from her, and watched her walk away.

I slid the new-looking card in the slot, heard a soft ding, and walked in.

It was big. An HP computer on a desk in the corner, a bathroom, mini-kitchen, living room, and flat screen TV. The living room doubled as a bedroom, with a pull-out sofa. That meant I had to sleep in the same bed with some other girl…

“Hello?” I called. No response. “If you’re here, I’m your roommate.” I called again. When no one responded that time, I decided that the dorm was empty. I dropped my bags on the couch and plopped myself down on them. I didn’t want to cry, but I wanted to at the same time.

What can I do to avoid crying?

Music. I needed music.

I limped over to the computer. My leg was hurting from sitting through that long drive. I turned it on, went straight to Youtube, and…

Chief Keef-Love Sosa.

I turned the volume all the way up, pulled my hair out of the neat bun that I had spent about 20 minutes fixing, and started dancing to the song. The beat was soft, and as soon as it was fully-built, I was going crazy dancing around the room. I almost tripped over the couch at one point.

I laughed at myself. This song was so stupid. But hey, what do I have to lose?

I danced for about five minutes more, replaying the song over and over. Then I twirled around with my eyes closed, then opened them, and realized someone was standing in the door.

A girl with a black snapback on that read TRILL on the front. Besides the hat, she was wearing black jeans and a batman sweatshirt. I stared at her, surprised, and then she laughed.

“This is different.” She said.

“What’s different?” I asked her, fixing my hair.

“When I found out my roommate was going to be Tyga’s daughter, I didn’t expect to meet her dancing like a maniac to my favorite song.”

We both laughed. I walked over to her. “Hey, I’m Janelle.”

“Mavia Johnson.” The girl said. So that was Mavia. “What are you here for?”

I shook my head. “It’s a long story…”

“Cool, I get it. You can tell me another time.”

And that was it—after that, our conversation was just small talk. I ended up really liking Mavia. She’s cool. While trying not to think too much about Chresanto, I turned on the TV and put it on E! News.

The first thing I heard was the only thing I really needed to hear to make my jaw drop. “Mindless Behavior reports temporary retirement—they are taking a break from music to go to school. Not just any school…boarding school.”