Chapter 23: More To The Mystery

Janelle’s POV:

I wished there was some way I could know why Prince was at my house. But that’s not even mainly what I’m worried about…why did my father tell him that my room is clear of my stuff? That’s impossible. They had to have kept my things in my room in case I came back.

After all, I’ve only been gone for two damn days.

“Are you sure it was Princeton you saw?” Chresanto asked after I told him the story a million times. Lana’s parents weren’t home and neither was she; she gave us some vague story about going to summer tutoring. She obviously just went out to do something her parents told her not to do, and didn’t want to let us know.

“Yes, for the thousandth time, it was him. No one else walks around in Misfit sweatshirts, creepers, and black bandanas but him.” I replied.

“Janelle, that doesn’t make sense. He’s not supposed to even be around here. They have a radio show tonight.” He said.

“They couldn’t go to the radio show whether or not he was at my house; the radio station would be expecting you to be there too.” I said. We were upstairs in our little bedroom. I was sitting up on the bed with my back against the wall and his head in my lap.

“Well thanks a lot.” Chresanto said sarcastically.

“What’s the problem?”

“You just made me feel bad for leaving them.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

Chresanto didn’t answer me. He just closed his eyes and sighed, making me feel bad for making him feel bad. I gently lifted his head off of me and went over to our ‘closet’ to get dressed again. I can’t stay in the house. The first reason I went out was to find Bianca, but now there’s a little more to the mystery than I thought.

“Babe, where you going?” He asked from behind me.

“I’m going back out, and I want you to come with me.  I need your help to find out some things, okay?”

He just smirked in a sly way, but then nodded.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing…I just didn’t think you’d be that comfortable to change around me.” He said, smirking still. I blushed. I hadn’t even realized what I was doing. I pulled my pants on quickly and pulled a sweatshirt over my top.

“Don’t get used to it.”

Chresanto and I returned to the same spot where I had been earlier, which I was now calling my ‘Spy Station’. I even gave each of us special spy names—Agent Double R for Chresanto, and Agent Jay 3000 for me. He laughed every time I referred to him by his agent name. Every time he laughed, it made this situation just a little better.

Just a little bit more normal.

“Okay, call him now.” I said to him. We had been waiting for the right time to call Prince. The right time was when we saw some movement coming from the clear window of my bedroom. The curtains were closed, but I could still see Prince’s 5’3 shadow walking around. I wondered what he was doing in there as Chresanto dialed the number. Was he getting ready to go to sleep? How? It was clear of my ‘stuff’, which includes my bed.

Stop thinking, stop wondering.

“That’s strange.” Chresanto said as he hung up the phone.

“What?”

“Well first of all, he didn’t answer the phone. You’d think he would be eager hear from me by now. And second of all, his voicemail is different. It doesn’t say ‘Princeton from Mindless Behavior’ anymore; it just says ‘Jacob’.” He replied.