Talk - Zoe and Connor

Everything was better

When we were small

Our eyes were full of stars

When we were small

But, now we've grown

And his heart is made of glass

I hold it close to my chest

Light shines through it

Through him

Creating a soft rainbow between us

I hold it close

I won't let him go

Now that we've grown

**********

It was so different now. It was no longer Saturday morning cartoons, and running around in the backyard. Picnics, movie nights, inside jokes- all of that was gone.

Things were so different when we were small, when our cookie-cutter lives were perfectly made for us.

But, after we've grown up, Connor and I are no longer the close friends we once were. Now, we're only strangers that happen to share a last name. It sucks, doesn't it.

Connor had just returned from a movie with Evan, who he apparently had befriended after shoving the kid to the ground and scrawling all over his cast. But, as weird as it was, he seemed really happy, so this friendship was one I would leave alone. I wish I knew why he was happy.

Heck, I wish I knew he was unhappy. It's not like he ever talk to me about it, all I knew was that he had depression and that none of the meds he had tried worked for him. I still kind of wish I knew, I mean he tried to commit suicide at one point. That's why he and Evan are friends now, at least I think that's the reason. Like I said, he doesn't tell me.

Connor walked through the front door, waved at me, and went to his room. I waved back from my spot on the couch, and just let him go. Even though, I really want to talk to him.

Saying hello or goodbye was pretty much all we had at this point, and, oh God, I can't stand that. This is my brother, I've known him since I was born. He's not an old friend who I stopped keeping in contact with, he's my fucking brother.

I've got to talk to him.

**********

I knocked on the door to his room and asked if I could come in. He said "sure" in a quizzical tone, almost as if he didn't know why I'd want to see him, and I opened the door.

His room was an absolute disaster, but there's no surprise there. He was sitting on his bed with a book in his hands, and I think it was a John Green novel. I didn't know he liked John Green.

"What's up?" He asked, looking rather confused. " is something wrong? Are Mom and Larry home?"

"No," I said, taking a deep breath and looking into his eyes for what felt like the first time in decades.
"I just want to talk to you."