Chapter 73

The stories rather long and mildly confusing, be aware that this is the first(1 1/2) draft so it's still a working progress, instead of starting over from scratch I plan to finish the series before I rewrite it, Sorry to those confused but I do hope you stick around, finals really close.

        It was the final event. Pitting those that made it against one another. Something I hadn't been looking forward to. Fighting wasn't something I was good at. And it too was magic free, only, magic of all sorts. No magic of any kind. Worst of all, my opponent was someone that knew me better than I did.

       "No hard feelings?" He grinned quirking a brow as I looked at him wearily from the corner of my eye, our match next. 

      "Do remember just what you said." Weapons were allowed and that worried me. I couldn't even come up with a plan either, I had to rush through what I remembered from a book I skimmed once. I couldn't participate if I was merged. That was magic after all.

       I barely made the cutoff point, the white hot burn I hadn't even noticed leaving me as my ears grew shorter and tail burned to nothing. Suddle things remained, my nails no longer black but long, my canines still sharp, my ears pointed. My hair white.

        Pulling it back into a ponytail I tied the ribbon as we slowly circled the other, waiting for the horn. Went ti blew he didn't hesitate, flinging the blades from his hips while I bolted knowing how a rogue worked. I had Temptal to thank for that, always fighting the same puppet. A small order had it behaving just like him.

       Hissing I bared my teeth as one lodged itself into my shoulder. Seems projectiles are still not my thing. Pulling it out with a clenched jaw I slid into a crotch, sending it back to its owner. Pulling a dagger he deflected it in a very irritating manner, I couldn't do anything remotely similar.

       His lack of throwing knives at me lunging forward, surprise crossing his face, as I pulled my own blade. The short sword equally surprising him while I went straight for his neck knowing he'd at least dodge just enough to survive. His blade snapping up to block me while I tsked, blocking not really something I expected.

       "Straight forward huh? Not really a rogue thing," Adding more strength I forced his blade aside and kicked his chest. Coughing he stumbled back, eyes wide at my lack of hesitation and absence of witty banter, which he was used to.

      "Okay, you want to win," He wheezed pulling a grin as I lunged again, my attacking not calming as he was forced on the defensive. Slapping his blade out of his hand at the cost of my own I didn't pause as I linked my fingers on the back of his neck, forcing my knee into his face, he grunted but the with the second one his elbow slammed into my thigh. 

      Grinding my teeth I released him with a spin to my step, sending a firm sidekick into his torso as he moved to get up and away. I didn't hesitate to sprint forward, my knee finding his stomach as we both went down. His guard not going up as he was preoccupied with having been slammed into the stone ground.

        My fist shooting straight up, a move usually used on me, and smashing into the bottom of his chin. I paused, making sure he was done before getting off him and helping him onto his stomach. Coughing, his tongue bleeding quite a bit, his nose bleeding from the knee to the face not helping, he tapped out on all fours while I sat next to him cross legged, rubbing his back.

     "Usually, it's done with an elbow," I said while the healer made her way over and he gave a gurgle of a laugh. "But... Well, elbows and knees hurt and a punch works too, just less effective," Elbows and knees were the go too, strong and sturdy, mostly mobile, usually keeps them down.

      "I was expecting an open palm to the throat," He snickered with a wince as the healer glared.

      "Now fast enough," I hummed as his back found mine.

      "I could have bit off my entire tongue,"

      "Didn't hit you hard enough for that,"

      "So you were being considerate were you?" We both laughed gently, my thigh throbbing.

      "Where'd you even learn to counter with an elbow? That shit hurts,"

     "Saw a soldier do it once, figured I might as well try it, though, I didn't react fast enough the first time,"

     "It was a good idea, I'd of just kept you there until you passed out, fair warning, taking control of the arms is way more effective,"

      "You've just got to get in the last word don't you?" He hummed while we fell into a comfortable silence, our hands linked tightly despite our casual conversation. I didn't want to fight him. I've never wanted to fight him. He was family. He was blood. He was my brother.

       "No idea what you're talking about Felix,"