Chapter 34

I woke up to see the same exhausted and irritated face of our healer while I hissed having tried to sit up. He slapped a damp cloth in my face, grumbling about how I couldn't let him have even a single day off. "I still can't get rid of scars so let this be a reminder, pay attention," He glared as he pointed at me demandingly while he left, coffee in hand.

      Pulling the cloth off my face while I watched him leave I looked at my arms, my hands and forearms holding quite a few thin scars. I guess I was overestimating my magic control. Staring at the back of my hand, the thin white lines peppering my skin. They were quite noticeable.

      Crawling out of the bed I sighed, rubbing the top of my back, small lines diving in ever so slightly while I stared at the floor contemplating a better prevention on the off chance I did it again. No matter how much you pay attention to something, if it happens once you should play for it to happen again. 

        I couldn't consistently drink potions, I would become immune to them if I did that, so finding something to wear that could shield me from such risks would probably be best. That outfit Vixen gave me... I wonder if it was any good in that regard. Hopping into my very worn down shoes, which were falling apart, I began my way to my room.

        I don't think I really tested it beyond how easy it made it to move. It may have been tight but it didn't get in the way and moved like a second skin not to mention how light it was. It made it worth the embarrassment. Humming as I ran my fingers along the wall I glanced outside, the rogue I was stuck studying my class under fighting with another puppet.

       I'm not sure why he did it so often but it was almost as if every time I saw him outside of studying he was always with one. Well, it's not my business.

         I mean, sure I tried it, the blade didn't do anything to it whether I stabbed or cut, but why was I doing this? Sighing I shook my head gently, bouncing on my feet before I jumped into the circle. The puppet not even waiting until I was all the way in before it straight up punched me in the face, making me fall on my ass outside the circle. 

        Okay. I should have expected that. Holding my bleeding face I grumbled about my stupidity, blinking away the tears that grew at the force. Hurt more than a normal punch. This wasn't supposed to be a combat thing so much as testing what this outfit could do. I already knew I sucked at fighting. I didn't need to go against something that has learned from many people in the last few weeks to pound that truth into me.

       Fighting wasn't my forte. I was fine with that. But that didn't mean I liked to get punched in the face let alone without the cushion called flesh. Okay. That sounded ominous. It was as if I was punched with a hammer. I didn't think they hurt so much.

        Sighing I wiping my nose, realizing I would have to work at least a little if I didn't want to die. With a grunt I got up, dusting off my bum while I eyed up the puppet. It didn't have eyes so I didn't really know if it could actually see anything. So, I jumped in behind it, properly entering the circle before I had a foot in my gut sending me flying. Okay, it may have been the distance that let me in.

         Coughing as I held my stomach I gasped for breath, my eyes watering again, the force far heavier than I was used to. I don't think this has anything to do with the outfit. I was going to get a feel for how the things moved before letting it fight with something sharp but now? Now was just going to lay here for a while regretting my choices.

        I was too cocky again. You'd think I'd at least be on guard, these things fought off trained professionals and yet here I am. In the dirt coughing up my lungs. I really had to remember I was still a student, first year at that, even if I did things others my age didn't. I was still an amateur.

       Grunting I forced myself up again, my stomach throbbing while I winced but tried again nevertheless. I found myself in the dirt a second later, my side on fire as I let out a strangled noise of pure and utter regret.

       I really need to stop doing these things.