You know what they say about eavesdroppers....

It was only 30 days until my fourteenth birthday, and I was supposed to save the camp BEFORE I turned 14. I was scared beyond reason.

“it’s okay, Alex. I won’t let anything happen to you,” Nico would say trying to comfort me, but it just reminded me that he was supposed to die too, which made me feel ten times worse.

“Nico, maybe you should go to the underworld and sit this fight out,” I told him. He gave me an astonished look but then he looked disappointed.

“You don’t want me to help?” he asked, looking straight into my eyes. No, farther it seemed like, if that was possible.

“No, it’s not that I don’t want you here…it’s just that…you mean the world to me and I don’t want you to be killed while trying to protect me,” I said looking down.

He pulled my chin up gently, he did this a lot. I looked into his beautiful blue eyes and wondered how someone as wonderful as he could love me so much.

“Alex, listen to me. I love you, and I will do anything to protect you, even if it means dying in the process,” He said, and I could tell he meant every word.

My eyes started to water and overflow down my cheeks. Nico wiped my tears away gently with his hand, and kissed me on the forehead.

I embraced Nico, “I love you too. More than anything,” I said, while crying into his chest.

We heard the harpies sound for dinner.

Nico pulled me back but kept hold of my shoulders, “Let’s go eat, and we can continue this conversation later,” and he released my shoulders so that he could grab my hand.

After dinner we both felt a little better. We had tried to forget the topic and let our minds wander, so it wasn’t the dominant thought of the moment.

As we were walking, we passed Annabeth, Percy, and a kid whose name I think was Dakota, all whispering violently to each other.

I stopped walking and Nico looked at me, “what’s wrong?” he said.

I put my finger to my lips and mouthed the words, “shhh…I want to know what they are saying.”

Nico stifled a laugh, “You know what they say about eavesdroppers, right?” he whispered with a playful smile.

I waved him off with my hand, and turned so he couldn’t see me smile.

I listened as hard as I could to the conversation being held and heard something like this:

Dakota: “You think she can do it?”

Annabeth: “I think so”

Percy: “I’ve seen what she can do with water. If she is that good with every other power, then there will be no stopping her.”

Annabeth: “but we have to do something about the prophecy. We can’t let her kill herself if something happens to Nico.”

My heart stopped, and started back double time.

Percy: “we need to do all we can to keep that part of the prophecy from coming true”

Annabeth and Dakota: Agreed.

And with that, I turned to Nico and started to cry. He tried calming me down to no avail, and decided to just bring me back to the cabin instead to get some sleep. Which did not come lightly I might add.

[[[do you like the new character dakota? not much has been said about him yet, but all rights for his character go to animejedi42. Read her story about him! it's great! also, i know this chapter is short and a little predictable, but it's all leading up to the ending that is WAYYYY unpredictable! i can't wait to finish it! thanks for being a fan and please vote and comment!]]]