The Examination

"My lady?" Someone's hand clutched onto your shoulder as the warmth of sunlight was interrupted by cold hands shaking you lightly awake. "Are you alright miss?"

Your own eyes fluttered open to witness a servant girl with the neatest black bun you had ever seen standing over you with worried eyes. Shaking your head as your eyes adjusted to the light, you gently waved her off moving forward. "Yes yes, I'm fine."

The maid, not meeting your eyeline in the slightest, quickly bowed her head to the floor before stepping away and beginning some tidy work.

You yawned glancing around the room and realizing in the moment that you never quite made it into your bed. "Oh dear." you sighed, moving your book from your lap and sitting up straight in the chair. Rubbing your eyes so as to wake properly.

As you began to stand, the young girl, not much older than you, rushed over and caught the blanket as it fell from your lap. Before you could say a word, she began folding it and walking it towards your bed in the far corner.

She seemed to be absorbed deeply in her work. And working very hard at that. So as you made your way around the chair, folding the book in your arms. You caught her singular moment of stillness to speak to her. "And what may I call you?"

A look of surprise ran quickly to her face before turning her eyes back to the blanket. "There's no need, miss. I won't be in the way."

"I insist. If we're going to be around each other often I do believe I'd rather use your name."

She nodded, seemingly still apprehensive to answer. "I'm... Amelia, my lady. I'll be your handmaiden for the remainder of your time here."

You bowed your head to her. "It is wonderful to meet you, Amelia."

"You as well miss."

"Nova."

She looked at you as if startled her turning her eyes back to the floor. "Oh, I can't-"

"I often find these formalities quite tiring and I rather hate these titles when in private." you quickly answered in reassurance. She kept her eyes down, however, so you quickly softened your tone. "But you may call me what you wish, Amelia. I don't wish to make you uncomfortable."

"No no." she quickly answered, keeping her eyes down. "I will do whatever pleases you... miss Nova."

You gently smiled nodding your head. "Very well. As you wish."

Amelia bowed her own head before returning to her work. Moving around yourself, you turned and peered outside noticing quickly the sun had fully risen and was shining right into your room.

"Do you have an idea of what time is it?"

"A bit past 10:00."

"Oh, dear. Then it seems I've missed breakfast." You sighed with a laugh just behind it as you walked over and placed the book back on the almost empty bookshelf. "Such a shame. I was particularly hungry this morning."

"I can bring you something if you'd like."

You chuckled. "No, that is quite alright. I suppose I deserve it for staying up so late reading."

"Are you ready to begin then, miss Nova?" She quickly asked. Turning around you watched as she pulled out the chair to your white and gold-trimmed vanity in the corner.

Walking slowly over with your brow raised you began to undo the braid in your hair. "For?"

"Oh. I apologize." Amelia answered bowing her head. "I should have clarified. I'm here to assist you in getting ready, my lady. Your hair and dressing and such."