ice queen

I have seen the regality of Kings and Queens, from many different realms. The elegance of their clothing and the magnificence of their crowns and jewels. But none could compare to the grandeur that was Eira.

She was still dressed in white, but it was now a long  white gown that almost seemed to be alive, as the material seemed to flow around her. A large silver neck piece followed the curves of he body and wrapped around her hips, ending near her knees. It sparkled from the hundreds of  pearls that were encrusted in it. On her head was a magnificent crown of silver, also covered in pearl. She held a sceptre of silver with a huge glowing pearl as its crowning glory. Her white hair now curly, grew almost to the floor.

 Her white hair now curly, grew almost to the floor

We all stood in silent reverence.

"Please be seated," she smiled. She walked to the large chair, at the head of the table and sat. "Please, I insist."

I instinctively picked up the decanter of wine and poured her a glass. "Your majesty?"

She accepted the wine. "Please. You are my guests. Be seated and accept my hospitality. And I insist you simply address me as Eira. I am not your Queen."

We all poured wine and it was Belinda who asked the question that was on everyones mind. "Who are you?"

"First, a toast to you, my guests. Welcome to my home."

We all drank.

"And to answer your question, Belinda, I am Eira. I am queen of the north seas and mistress of all those who inhabit it."

"It does not seem to be such an inhabitable land," Cullen added. "With respect," he added.

"Indeed not, Cullen. But there is more to the northern seas than one could imagine." She waved her sceptre at the far wall and the white ice became transparent, like a window. Beyond the window there was a field of small bergs. We could see many more of the white bears and other creatures that were not familiar to us."

"Seals, sea lions and penguins," Eira informed us. "They along with the polar bears are my wards, as well as the creatures that exist below the ice."

"So, were you responsible for the stormy seas and the ice prison that nearly caused our destruction?"

Eira's smile left her face. "I apologize for that. They were safeguards that have existed here for many years. They are meant to discourage and protect me from my enemies. It was nothing personal."

I was still not convinced. "There was another ship."

"Hunters," she answered quickly. "They come to kill my creatures."

"But we were not here to do any harm," I insured her.

"I know now. I do apologize."

"We lost two good men," Cullen spoke up. "An apology is not enough."

Cullen," I glared at him. "Know your place."

He bowed his head. "Apologies Captain."

Eira spoke again. "There is little I can do about your losses, other than assure you that you are safe now and if you should ever return to my Kingdom, you shall be welcome with open arms."

I looked at the others. They did not seem to be satisfied with the explanation. Neither was I, but I decided to be diplomatic about the situation. "You were protecting your own from an unknown people. I would be cautious as well, although I do not know if I would revert to such actions."

"History has shown me that when those that are not from the north, come upon my land, there is surely bloodshed. I am entrusted with the protection of my land. I hope you can at least understand that. As I am sure you would do all you could to protect your crew."

I had to agree with Eira's argument. I would certainly do what was necessary to protect my crew.

"We cannot undo what is done," I said, finally. "To continue to look for blame would be fruitless." I looked around the table to ensure that my crew were aware that I had made my decision. There would be no further discussion.

Eira smiled again. "Good. Then let us eat." She turned to her left and clapped her hands twice. A second later, a large white bear walked into the room. He was standing upright and carrying a large silver platter with a large fish on it. "We will say a prayer for our meal. I do protect, but at the same time, my lands must provide for all of us."

The bear lay the platter on the table and was just about to turn, when a loud explosion shook the structure. Seconds later the sound of cannon fire filled the air.

I turned to Eira, drawing my pistol as I did.  "What is this deception?" I yelled at her.