the Pond

We walked single file through the semi-darkness of the cave

We walked single file through the semi-darkness of the cave. We stayed mostly silent, as we kept a cautious eye on the surroundings. The only sound was the occasional complaint from one of the crew about the length of the trek or the muggy smell within the cave.

"Smells like Grader's chamber pot," Belinda smirked at one point.

The laughter lightened the mood as the light at the end of the tunnel seemed to be much farther from us than we at first imagined. For many hours we walked through the interior of the cave, yet the light remained the same. It did not enlarge in size. It did not get smaller. It was as if we were not moving at all.

Again, most of us wondered if we were simply having false images, due to tiredness. After all, we had not slept the night before and now the semi-darkness was bringing on the need for sleep.

As we continued to walk, we started to noticed that the light was actually fading and there was fear amongst us that perhaps it had been an illusion and that it would eventually fade, leaving us in total darkness in the tunnel. A thought that did not particularly appeal to any of us.

Imagine our surprise when the light didn't fade, but actually began to change to a soft green and encased the cave in a sudden welcomed warmth. The light began to grow in size and as we finally got closer, we could see flickers of yellow dancing throughout the green.

Though weary after a long day's travel, we hurried toward the light and were suddenly rewarded with what could only be described as a magical scene.

As we stepped outside the cave, we found ourselves on a path that ambled ahead of us several hundred feet, through a sparse forest of odd shaped trees, with roots forming part of the trail. Their branches overhead entwined to form a ceiling above us.

The yellow dancing lights we had seen earlier were actually small insects, whose bodies seemed to glow in the dark. When they saw us, they seemed to move away from us, as if showing us the way. To what, we were not sure, but we decided to follow the dancing yellow lights and eventually they led us to a magical green pond, at the end of the path.

The surface of the pond seemed to emit its own soft green light and across the water we could see a small waterfalls with the same mysterious waters cascading over the rocks. The yellow insects skimmed the surface of the pond, leaving yellow streaks through the surface.

As we stood on the edge of the pond, in revered silence, and stared at its beauty, we heard a sound that could only be described as an angel singing.

We followed the edge of the pond, toward the singing and as the sun once again rose we were greeted with a sight unlike anything we had even encountered in our life.

We could only stand, once again, in revered silence and gaze upon this magical being that surely was visiting from heaven.