angry sea

I hurried to the ships wheel and took over from Liam

I hurried to the ships wheel and took over from Liam. "Help the riggers," I ordered him.

Liam waited until I had secured my hold on the wheel before he hurried down the steps to the main deck. The wheel fought me like an angry dog, but I kept hold. Many years of teaching by my father, William, had shown me the technique I needed to hold the ship in stormy seas. It had taken me many years to understand why he made me train with the men when it came to strength and endurance, but after my first storm at sea I understood. One needs extreme strength to fight an angry sea.

As I watched the riggers struggle with the sails, I caught sight of the small ship to my left. One of its masts had already become a victim of the sea and its sails no longer existed. I thought I could see several people on deck, but the heavy seas washed across the deck of the smaller ship and I saw no more.

I turned my attention back to my own ship, as the mainsail and foresail were now lowered and secured, while the two topsails were in the process of being lowered. All that remained was the forward jib sail, that was being battered by the wind and starting to tear. The riggers were ignoring this sail, as it would not pose an issue.

I tried to count my crew, as they struggled across the deck, tying down all that was not secured. As each wave washed over the deck, I lost track once again. I only hoped that some of my crew had made it to the safety of the hold, as there were certainly not 20 plus on deck.

Liam joined me once again, at the wheel. "All is secure Captain, but we have lost the jib sail."

Mere scraps of sail could be seen holding to the bow spirit.

"It is of little consequence," I yelled above the roar of the angry sea. "What of our crew?"

His face turned sad. "We have lost Sean, for certain. he fell into the seas, while helping with the mainsail and Connor was washed over. Caytie tried to save him, but she was not strong enough."

I took a deep breath. The sea was certainly angry. "What of the other ship?"

Liam shook his head. "It is no more, Captain. A huge wave sideswiped and capsized the boat. I fear all aboard have perished. This northern sea will take the warmth from a man's body in mere minutes. None can survive."

"They did help us, by their warning. We shall pray for them."

Liam looked across the deck of the Dochas. "If we are able, Captain. The seas seem to be getting angrier."

It was as if we were in a massive barrel of water and some giant was angrily shaking the barrel. The seas were not acting as storm seas usually did. The waves were not a continuous motion, but more so they seemed to be splashing against invisible walls that were surrounding us and falling back upon us. "Then perhaps we had best pray for ourselves that this malevolent storm soon subsides or our fate will be the same as the other ship."

"I fear that may not be our favour," Liam screamed.

I followed Liam's line of sight. "What hell is this?" I gasped.

The waters seemed to be rising on all sides of us and the Dochas seemed to be sinking into the hollow created by the rising waters. I took Liam's hand. No words were said.

We both watched as the waters formed a ceiling above us. I was certain that they would now curl back upon us and the Dochas and all its crew would certainly be lost.

I prayed for the souls of my crew.