Dracon

I was awaken abruptly from a deep sleep.

"You must leave now." Aingeal was practically yelling at me, as she pulled me off the furs. "Come, you must awake."

I was startled by a sudden sound like thunder and outside the sky lit up like it were day.

"A storm?" I wondered sleepily.

"This is no storm," Aingeal assured me. I could detect a tinge of fear in her voice.

As my senses came to me, I looked around and saw several other fairies waking up the other members of my crew. "What is happening?" I was quickly awakening.

"You have to leave now," Aingeal repeated. "There is little time."

Another explosion shattered the night and another light, as bright as the sun, illuminated the darkness.

"You would send us out into this storm?" My suspicions of this fairy were rising again.

"I have told you, Scealia, this is no storm." She passed me my weapons and belongings. "You must hurry."

I could see the others of my crew being hurried, in the same way. The looks on their faces surely mirrored mine. I grabbed the fairy Queen. "What is happening?"

"There is no time for explanation." Aingeal literally dragged me through the hut and outside, into the darkness. 

There was no wind. There was no rain, but once again the ground shook and the night sky was lit up.

"What is this?" I yelled.

Aingeal pointed to the top of the surrounding mountains. "Look."

I felt my heart in my throat and my breaths were mere gasps. Once again, this strange land presented me with something my mind could not comprehend. A huge beast was swooping down from the highest peak.

"Is that a dragon?" Grader gasped. "Surely I must be dreaming."

Aingeal shook her head. "You do not dream. It is Dracon, the storm dragon. He is the pet of Carisha."

Dracon flew over our heads and with a tremendous roar, lightening shot from his mouth and destroyed a hut on the ledge above us. It once again flew upwards toward the top of the mountain.

I looked at the others, as I drew my pistol. "Prepare to fight," I ordered them.

Aingeal yelled at me. "No. You must go."

Liam pulled back the hammer of his long gun. "We do not abandon friends in need."

Aingeal was insistent. She was shaking her head furiously and her wings were flapping, as if in excitement or anger, or both. "You must go now, before she comes."

I shook my head. "We will stand and fight with you. Together ..."

Aingeal grabbed my shoulders, shaking me. "No my friend."

I stared into the fairy's eyes. There was something there. "We will not abandon you."

Aingeal smiled a sad smile. "I know you mean well, but this is not your fight."

"Then we will make it our fight," I assured her.

"No. You have to leave and save our Queen."

My breath caught in my throat. I stared at the beautiful fairy that I thought was the Queen, but who was informing me differently. I could only choke out the single word, "Queen?"