Paradi

The path seemed to close behind us, as we followed Aingeal

Petals of aromatic lavender fell from the trees above us, as we walked along a path toward the fairy village. The village stood on several levels of ledges protruding from the mountain in front of us. The buildings were of a form that I had never seen before in my life.

"Welcome to Paradi," Aingeal smiled. "Land of the fairies." She pointed to the largest building. "That is the fairy Queen's castle."

"Your castle," I commented.

"Of course," Aingeal nodded.

"It is beautiful," I gasped, voicing the silence of the others who were wide eyed in awe. "I have never seen such beauty."

"We are a simple people. We do not need much and the land provides."

I looked around. I could not see any other fairies and Aingeal's nonchalant attitude was beginning to cause me some concern. I looked at the others, but they seemed to engrossed in the beauty that surrounded them to have any doubts.

"You will stay in our visitors hut," Aingeal informed us, as we crossed the shallow streams that flowed from the bottom of the waterfalls. "I am certain that you will find it to your liking."

"I am sure we will," Flo answered quickly, an excitement in her voice.

Aingeal led us inside the building. It was a simple structure with a wooden table and chairs. A large fireplace was on one wall, with more small chairs around it. A large fire provided a comfortable warmth. Alongside the walls were ledges covered in what looked like furs, which I assumed were for sleeping.

"It is more than accommodating ," I assure our host. "I am sure we will rest soundly."

"I am happy. Make yourself comfortable and I will see to a meal for you." Aingeal left, and we shed ourselves of our supplies, but kept our weapons close.

Our host returned about 15 minutes later, with several other fairies, all of whom were carrying pots and plates of the most exotic smelling foods that I had ever encountered. I could actually hear my stomach growl, at the thought of a hot meal.

We sat at the table and the fairies served us the meal, consisting of a thick stew, slabs of meat and loafs of fresh bread. Our goblets were filled with a sweet red wine.

Aingeal sat at the head of the table and raised her goblet. "To new friends."

We toasted her, as the other fairies left and then we ate.

The meal was the best I had eaten for a long time and we all ate until we could no longer eat. The heavy meal and sweet wine soon brought tiredness to us and though my eyes were heavy, I had many questions for the Fairy Queen.

"Rest tonight," Aingeal suggested, "and tomorrow I shall answer all of your questions and I will show you the wonders that are Paradi."

Though I still had some question about Aingeal and her village and even some hesitation, I could no longer fight the tiredness that was overtaking me. I lay on the comfortable furs and with Aingeal's angelic voice serenading us, sleep overtook.