Two Moons

We travelled north for 20 days

We travelled north for 20 days. The weather had been kind to us, as the winds allowed us to keep a steady course.

We were also fortunate that we did not encounter any other ships. Though my first mate, Frahley, pointed out that it may also be interpreted as a bad sign. Maybe no one ventured this far north for a reason.

"All part of the adventure", I reminded her, although her words did hang with me.

On the 21st day the winds died and we found ourselves on a calm sea. Sails would be of no use to us. We were going nowhere. 

I decided to take advantage of the calm seas to lower dories and cast our nets. A bountiful catch of cod and halibut would ensure us of fresh and dried fish for our journey. The day was kind to us and we brought about 20 barrels of fish aboard. They would be clean, split and mostly dried and salted.

It was just as the sun was setting and we secured the last dory, that we saw the great grey wall approach us from off the starboard quarter, quickly blocking the entire sea aft.

We travelled, slowly, for 7 days, through a fog so thick that we could see barely the length of our arms. A fog so thick and heavy, it chilled us all to the bone, forcing us to wear heavier garb. 

We lowered all but one sail and prayed to Shalea that our slow passage would allow us time to react, if danger should befall us. That was if we could see the danger at all.

On the 8th day it seemed as though our prayers were answered. We could see rays of sunlight trickle through the grey curtain.

As the fog lifted, we were presented with our first signs of land after 28 days on the waters.

There was much joy, as my crew was in need of the feel of solid ground under their feet, but there was much trepidation as well, as it seemed we had come upon a land unknown. My maps showed no lands or islands in this section of Shalea.

As darkness fell upon us, we peered into the night sky at a strange vision. There was not one, but two moons. None of my crew had heard tales of such a land and surely, in all my travels, I had never seen such a sight.

There was much talk of how such a spectacle could be. Perhaps a heavenly reflection of some sort or perhaps weary eyed, fog induced, images.

Or perhaps ... 

just perhaps, the fog was a path to a world unheard of. A world never travelled by man or woman. A new world either within our world or adjacent to ours. There was much talk, as we lay anchor and toasted our discovery with a hearty mug of rum.

I was weary of this new land, but excited as well. It was the reason I wanted to take this journey. I could feel my heart beating loudly at the thought of what this new land might hold.  What adventures awaited us?

At first light we shall discover what indeed does await us, as I and a small party would leave the Dochas and venture forth.

I left my first mate, Frahley in charge, with orders that if we do not return in 7 days, then she shall assume command and set sail away from this land.

Frahley kissed my cheek, in private and threatened to kill me if I did not return. 

I believe my first mate favoured me, in some form.