Transitions

Vincent: 

Matilda licked her chocolate ice cream cone with a grin as I checked us into the cheap motel.  The fear that consumed her a few hours ago subsided the moment she had awakened from her small nap, and now she was acting like a spoiled princess. 

I'm not sure what brought on the change, but I was glad that she was comfortable.  There would be time later to correct her rather rude behavior.  She had to know that she couldn't get away with yelling at me.

The older man standing behind the dust covered counter chuckled at her.  "You must have a very strong sweet tooth to be eating ice cream this late."

"Yes, sir." She answered, giving him a sly smile.

"I have some chocolate candy in my office. Would you like a piece?"

"No, thank you. My mom told me I shouldn't take things from strangers."

"And she is absolutely right, my dear." He reached his ragged hand towards her. "My name is Fred, and I am the owner of this motel. What is your name?"

Matilda glanced at me before wrapping her hand around his index finger. "I'm Xena."

The pen that I was using to sign the registry dropped from my hand, and I had to clear my throat to keep my composure. What in the hell was she doing? I mean, I suppose I can understand her choosing a fake name since I'm using one, but she could have picked something a little more realistic.

I did not need her making people suspicious.

"Pleased to meet you, Xena." Fred laughed, stepping back into the small office behind him. He returned a few seconds later and handed her a small chocolate candy bar. "Don't eat this all at once."

"I won't, Fred. I promise."

I shook my head and took the silver key that sat on the counter in front of me, thanking the strange man before pulling Matilda out of his office. We walked in silence until we reached our room, a crust covered place with a queen sized bed that was adorned with an ugly bed spread. There was a small dresser beside it with a worn out bible on top, and a TV set that looked like it was manufactured in 1951.

Matilda scrunched her nose in disgust. "What a dump. Why do we have to stay here?"

"We don't have much money right now."

"Don't you have a credit card or something?"

"No, I don't have a-" I stopped when I realized that I was explaining myself to a child. "Look, it's my job to worry about our financial situation. Why don't you change into your nightgown and get into bed?"

"You expect me to sleep in that thing!?  Yuck!"

I pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to ignore the oncoming headache.  "It's just for one night.  I'll find us a better place tomorrow.  I promise."

The promise was an empty one.  I had to hang on to every penny we had until I was able to find myself a decent job.  And there was still the matter of finding Emily and Cora.  Rockport was only an hour away from the motel, but what were the odds that they even lived in the same place after ten years?  Hell, even if I found them there, I had to have enough money to support them financially. 

This was going to take time.

Matilda eventually changed into her night gown and went to sleep on the gross bed.  I sat at her side for a while, watching her while she slept and considering how much she would put up with before she tried to get ahold of the police.  She seemed calm on the surface, but underneath she could be trying to plan a way of escape from me.  I learned that harsh lesson ten years ago with Cora, and I could not afford to trust Matilda until I was certain that she was on board with her new life.