Unhappy Life

Emily:

The room was as silent as an abandoned cemetery, all eyes on me as I prepared to deliver the news that would shape their fates for the next few weeks. I stared back at them for a moment, then smiled and held the book in my hands.

"Relax, everyone." I told my students. "I know that doing a five thousand word book report on Julius Caesar may seem intimidating, but I assure you that it will be easy once you get started."

The silence was replaced with complaining and whining until the bell rang. The students stood from their chairs and made a run towards the door, most of them still cursing me under their breath.

I laughed and set the book back down. This was my third year as a high school history teacher, and I loved my students more and more with each passing day. Their smiles kept my mind off of the turmoil that was happening in my personal life, and I wanted to pay them back by giving them a good education.

The final class of the day came in. I showed them a movie about Julius Caesar, then broke the news of the lengthy book report to them as well. When the end of the day bell rang and every student was gone, I closed my door and began to grade papers.

I stayed in my empty classroom for several hours, using the time to avoid going back home. 

I loved my daughter with every ounce of my being, but she was going through a rebellious phase and it was starting to take a heavy toll on me.

It started after my divorce, and escalated more and more as she grew older. She had excellent grades in school and was captain of the volley ball team, as well as the track team, but she also stayed out all hours of the night and hung out with kids that were known for doing drugs and having wild parties.

As her mother, I knew that it was my job to make sure she stays out of trouble; but the blame I have placed on myself for putting her through so much trauma at a young age kept me from being too hard on her.

All I could do for now was pray that she would snap out of it before something terrible happened.

I finished grading my papers and headed home, only to find that Cora will still out with her friends. 

Sighing, I poured myself a glass of wine and watched a rerun of South Park until my cellphone rang. 

My eyes lit up when I saw that it was Hope who was calling me.  She still lived five hours away from me, and was so busy with her own life that we hardly had time to talk to each other anymore. 

"Hey, you."  I muted the television as I answered the phone.  "Haven't heard your voice in a while."

"I know."  She said, "Things have been a little chaotic around here since Chad went to Denmark."

Chad was her husband, a plastic surgeon whom she met three years ago when she went in to his office to have her breasts augmentation.  They instantly fell in love and married each other a month later.

"How long will he be there?"  I asked.

"Just until his seminar is over, but enough about me.  How are you doing?  Is Cora still giving you a hard time?"

"Yes."

"That sucks, Emily.  I'm sorry."

"She's a levelheaded girl.  I'm sure she will come to her senses before too long."

There was uncomfortable silence on the other end for a few seconds, then the sound of a baby whining filled my ears.  The smile returned to my face. 

Hope had her baby eight months ago, a sweet and healthy boy by the name of Jacob. 

Sometimes I envied her for having the perfect family, but I truly was happy for her.  She deserved it after all the years of dealing with disgusting men, the kind who only cared about getting into her pants.

"Jake sounds so grown up."  I said.

"Girl, you wouldn't believe how big he has gotten."

"I wish I could see him again."

"Actually, that's why I called."  She said, "I would love to come see you guys this weekend, if it's not too short of notice."

"Are you kidding?  I would love that!"

"Awesome!  I can leave here Friday afternoon and be there by seven o clock.  Would that be okay?"

"That would be perfect! I'm sure Cora will be very excited to see you."

We talked for a few more minutes before hanging up with each other. I went back to watching the vulgar television show and sipping on a third glass of red wine until Cora finally walked in the front door. She saw me sitting there and immediately walked past me without so much as a hello.

I frowned and shut off the television, stomping into her room with my hands on my hips. "Where have you been, Cora? Were you out with Beth again?"

"Yeah."

"You know I told you to stay away from her.  She is nothing but trouble."

"Whatever, mom."

She started to close the door in my face, but I stuck my foot in the way before she had the chance.  I looked at her eyes and shook my head when I saw how red and puffy they were.  "You've been smoking pot again, haven't you?  How many times do I have to tell you that marijuana is bad for you?"

"No worse than the eight glasses of alcohol you drink every single night."  She retorted, rolling her eyes.

"Why do you have to treat me this way, Cora?"

"What did you expect, mom? I share the same blood as that monster that stole my childhood."

"Cora-"

"It's your fault, anyway! If you would've kept your legs closed, I wouldn't be here in the first place!"

My heart dropped to my feet, and I turned my head away to hide the tears that swelled in my eyes. 

Cora had no idea that she was conceived because of rape; how could I tell her that? 

Instead, she was under the impression that Vincent and I had consensual sex before he kidnapped me. 

I would rather her resent me than to know she was a product of rape. That would destroy her, and she has been through enough.

I threw my hand over my face and ran down to my bedroom, slamming the door and burying my face into my pillow.

There was a knock at my door a few seconds later and Cora's voice was on the other side. "Mom." She paused and cleared her throat. "I-I'm sorry."

"It's okay." I choked, my voice muffled by the pillow.  "Goodnight, Cora."

She went back into her bedroom and closed the door, leaving me alone to cry myself to sleep.