Chapter 9

July 14th, 2045 [New Moon] – Banff

I'd spent a full day and night, being well taken care of naturally, in the little shelter when the summons came. It was a quiet knock on the door, a pause to ensure I'd been given enough time to get decent if I wasn't and then the door opened. My two erstwhile guards stood waiting for me politely.

I can't say that I was given more time to observe my surroundings this time around, since they set a brisk pace. Even more so, my view of the surroundings was blocked by all the creatures that had turned out. Eventually I chose to look at a point somewhat above their heads as the stares became a bit too much to handle.

My guards paused in the centre of the clearing and gestured that I was to wait there before they both bowed to the thrones at either end and left me.

Old Lord Lilon and frail-looking King Mullac each turned their gaze on me. My mysterious visitor had described them in passing and it wasn't difficult to identify them. I wasn't sure who I was supposed to look at. They had positioned me so that I faced a point roughly in the middle of them both and need only shift my head slightly to be looking directly at either.

My heart pounded so loudly it was about to burst through my chest. This was it.

I waited for my cue to speak. If I failed to move them we were all lost! Men and elves; dwarves and giants, all lost to the unfailing darkness which accompanied THEM.

The factions had been at each other's throats for centuries, without ever making the human mistake of war. How do you change that in mere minutes?

One gaze tugged at me more than all the others. Bold, male warrior type, he seemed more intent on me than on anything else.

My one hope shimmered, a frail light in this dark time. He looked exactly like my father had in the images I'd been shown.

"My brother," I whispered. Recognition was there in the slight lift of one slender arched brow. Recognition, but no love or support. He merely waited and watched.

That watchfulness was more unnerving than outright hatred would have been. He watched and waited for me to what? Fail? Show the weakness of my human blood?

My heart beat slowed, replaced by a simmering anger in my blood.

"Hear me!" The echoes of my voice resound in the clearing, louder than I had intended. I lowered it slightly and continued. "Hear me rulers one and all! Hear me ye princes and nobles! Hear me dwarves and elves, giants and magickal creatures all!

I stand before thee at the end of the world as we know it! The victor is unimportant for our lives will never again be the same..."

"No need for melodrama Kiera," muttered King Mullac, "We are the ones who summoned you, at the request of those far wiser than yourself. This clearing has ever been a gathering ground of our people and the wards and spells that protect us also allow everyone to hear quite clearly what those who stand at the center desire to make known."

He points this out after I spoke loudly enough to deafen everyone at the start?

Lord Lilon gestured with widespread arms, "Our seers too have told us it is time to let the outsider guide the way. It is the only reason we are here."

A loud booming voice echoed from among the trees, "It is believed that the outsider will argue for war! This must not be allowed!" Clearly whoever had spoken felt they were entitled to shout.

A wizened old dwarf stepped forward, "We await your counsel, for it is ordained that yours be the way at this our darkest hour. Beware how you direct us, for upon your head shall rest the doom of our people"