Chapter 36

20 July 2045 – Banff

We stood together in the clearing with the full assemblage gathered. The circle of water that we had used for scrying and for the other magicks was gone and in its place was a circle of mushrooms, each one perfectly formed.

The Seventh had told us that fairy-kind had done what they could to protect and guard us by casting one of their fairy circles. Every little bit helps. One more thing that might tip this fight in our favor. A sweet thing to try to help us survive.

The gathering was subtly different in other ways, as there was more mingling amongst the two groups. The King and the Lord were setting the tone as they stood together and chatted, instead of sitting in solitary splendor on their thrones. The thrones were noticeably absent.

Athena appeared, bringing us five back together briefly. The Seventh was off to the side, speaking to the other seers, who occasionally nodded and looked in our direction. He gestured Mickael over and included him in the discussion. What is he up to now?

The darkness gathered around us, as evening turned slowly to night. It felt morbidly symbolic – the darkness representing the evil that sped towards us before the eternal night that loomed.

"It is time," I said. At least I don't sound as petrified as I feel. My voice managed to stay steady there.

The peoples moved around until each was arrayed behind their ruler, or as much as they could be in the space that allowed. That too was symbolic, as they'd been told it didn't matter where they were physically when the spell began. Their presence was a show of solidarity and support, not just for their rulers but for each other. No matter how this turned out, things had already shifted for the better.

Lord Lilon and King Mullac remained standing next to each other, waiting. Athena, Laila and I walked over to face them. The Seventh stepped forward and presented a crystal each to the Lord, the King, Athena and Laila. Then I turned my back on them and stood with the sceptre in front of me and planted firmly in the ground, both of my hands on it. Athena and Laila moved to flank me until we were all standing in the places we had adopted in the vision. Lord Lilon and King Mullac rested a hand each on my shoulders and the ladies on my upper arm.

I concentrated on the vibration in the crystal and let it reach out to all the others that had already been magickally charged with its power. Through King Mullac I felt the steady throb of the Earth and growing things, of a people that was one with nature in all its glory. Lord Lilon and this people brought a steadfastness and calm as solid as the roots of the deepest mountains. Athena and her people brought light and magick that almost overwhelmed my sense of the other two.

Yet even while this power was surging through me the seers moved until they were behind me and to one side. We didn't plan that. Is it to aid the King and Lord if they need it?

Shio moved to stand in front of Laila, his eyes steady on hers, also not part of the vision or our plan. Two seers also moved to stand next to Laila and that almost broke my concentration. What are they doing?

I sensed the Seventh move and looked up. His eyes were steady on mine. 'I'm not letting you go,' he said mentally. My heart stuttered in my chest, his smile was confident and tender all at the same time.

Get it together. The link is unravelling.

I regained the link to the King, the Lord and Laila and concentrated further. To link through Laila would be harder, as few humans have bothered to practice magick actively in the last generations. I could sense Laila straining to reach out through the crystal as we had discussed, but nothing was happening. The Seventh and I had thought this might be a possibility. With a feeling of dread I reached through the sceptre and pushed power to her.