Chapter 10

After she finally told Hans how she felt, she felt as if the weight of the world lifted off of her shoulders. It felt great to tell someone that you loved them.

And it certainly felt nice to say 'I love you' and truly mean it for once.

When she was finished with her breakfast that morning, her mother came downstairs and stared at her with her lips in a thin line. She had her hands on her hips, and Augusta rolled her eyes. She knew that she was going to get in trouble for something.

"Hello, Mother," she said cheerfully.

Her mother carefully eyed her, as if she was trying to read her mind. And sometimes, scarily, she could. Maybe Augusta would finally understand when she was a mother.

"I have to ask you something."

"Go ahead."

"Are you having an affair?"

Augusta was taken aback by how blunt her mother was. More that she had somehow guessed. Was it that obvious?

"No. What makes you think that I am?" Augusta said, slowly.

"You've been so distant lately. And I've seen a change in you. And you haven't been home a lot, and Lukas said that he hasn't seen you for a while."

"That doesn't mean anything," Augusta argued.

She wasn't ready to tell her mother about Hans. Not yet.

Her mother sighed.

"Fine. Don't tell me anything. If you are having an affair, you must end it. You're getting married in less than two months!"

"I'm not having an affair!"

"Then go out with Lukas today!"

Augusta stared at her mother. She wasn't sure what to say.

"I suppose I'll go. To his house?"

"Yes. Go." Her mother said, pointing at the door. She knew that her mother was giving her no choice.

Augusta glared at her mother and stormed out of the house. She was twenty-three years old. She didn't need her mother to tell her what to do anymore. And she was perfectly capable of choosing a man for herself.

"Hey there," Lukas said when he opened the door.

"Hi," she said. "So I hear that you've missed me?"

"Yeah I have," he said. "Your mother thinks that you're having..."

"An affair," she said. "I know. I'm not though."

He glared at her as if he knew the truth perfectly well. And he probably did. He had a way of finding out about everything.

"All right then. Let's go for a walk."

She took his hand and followed him.

"I think it's going to snow," Lukas said, breaking the silence.

She shrugged.

"It's cold enough."

"I guess," he said. "I can't wait for our wedding."

She sighed. Their conversations were the same, boring and mundane. With Hans, she didn't know what to expect. Augusta learned something new about him every time she talked to him. She liked that. But with Lukas, the only thing he talked about was their wedding. What they were doing for their honeymoon. Who was all coming. Hell, she didn't even want to marry him.

"Me neither," she lied.

Another awkward silence. She hated those. She quickly scrambled around in her mind to find something to say.