Chapter 20

Augusta sighed, relieved. She was grateful that Lukas was finally going to be taken out of her life- forever. She knew that the government would not tolerate criminals like Lukas, and tht she wouldn't hear from him in a long, long time- if that. She thanked God that Hans was there for her.

Lukas glared at Hans, clearly afraid, but trying to look brave, as he usually did in Hans' presence. His black eyes were filled with anger and fear, and he tried to level himself up to Hans' height, and tried to instill fear into Hans' ice blue eyes, to show him what he was really made of. Lukas was used to having people- especially women- be afraid of him, but Hans and ultimately Augusta seemed to be the only exceptions. And he didn't like that. He didn't like it one bit. He was used to getting everything his way, but even he knew better than to argue with an SS officer who just arrested him, as much as he despised the SS and anything to do with Nazism, for that matter. Everybody knew that getting arrested in the Third Reich was not something that one wanted to happen to themselves, and Lukas could not help but wonder what his whore of a fiancée's lover would deliberately put him through. Lukas almost wished that he had murdered Augusta when he had the chance- quickly and quietly. He wished that he didn't have to get involved with such a rich and famous woman, so that it would have been much easier to do.

"How dare you! How dare you arrest me, when you are the one at fault!" Lukas shouted, with all the anger and contempt that he could muster.

"How am I at fault? You hurt a woman, and threatened to murder her and an unborn child. Is that not a crime to you, or do you have no conscience to even realize that?" Hans replied.

"You are an adulterer; you... fucked a woman when she was with someone else. And it is not a crime to hurt a woman like that! I pity you, for falling in love with her! She is a manipulative liar!"

Augusta blushed. If only Lukas shut up about the fact that her and Hans had sex, this would be so much easier. He had no manners to bring up such topics in front of everyone. But it wasn't helpful because everyone knew.

"It's not adultery, because you and I are not married. And don't blame him. It takes two to tango, doesn't it? And if you think that way about me, then why do you still insist that we get married? So that you can fulfill even more of your sadistic desires with me?" Augusta retorted, bravely. She was quite proud of herself, for saying what she really thought, because she never would have said such a thing to Lukas if they were alone. She knew better than to do that.

"You- keep your mouth shut, bitch." Lukas said, fuming at her words. That woman never kmew when to shut up, and she had no manners or rights to talk to a man like that- especially not her fiancé.

Hans grabbed Lukas' collar. "You will NOT speak to her that way, you swine! And Augusta, you are not marrying him- with all the power I have, I refuse to let you marry him, even if I have to take it all the way to the Führer. I do not care what your mother has to say, not this time."

"Oh, my God!" Augusta's mother shouted, and stormed into the kitchen.

Hans glanced at Augusta's mother worriedly, and then turned to Josef.

"Can you help me get him into my car?"

"Yes, of course," Josef said, and grabbed Lukas, who was flailing around, trying to get out of their grasp. But Hans and Josef, both trained to perfection and excellence by the Nazi Party and the SS, were much too strong for a traitorous aristocrat, who probably had never exercised a day in his life.

Augusta quickly went into the kitchen, knowing that she had no place anymore, and was afraid of what her mother was going to say. Her mother would yell at her, surely. Augusta tried to ignore and block out all the profanities Hans and Lukas were shouting at each other. She was certainly glad that Hans would never, ever show her that side of him, because he was much scarier than Lukas when he was incredibly angry. And she would do everything she could not to infuriate him.