Chapter 15

Augusta stared, with wide eyes and completely starstruck, at the scene that was unfolding in front of her. She was scared about what was going to happen. She told Hans that she didn't want the sin of murder imprinted on him, and Lukas definitely wasn't somebody worth that. She slowly sat down on the cold pavement and rested her head against the brick wall. She ran her hands over her arms, covered by her coat, knowing that she should bandage them before they got infected. She wondered how she was going to make it into her house and not have her parents ask her too many questions. What would she say? She couldn't tell the truth because her mother probably wouldn't believe her, but she didn't know of a proper lie to tell either.

Hans was holding Lukas by the collar. Lukas cursed and tried to get Hans off of him but was failing at it. She still couldn't believe that Hans saved her life- again- even after all the cruel things that they said to each other. She also had never seen Lukas look so afraid. She had no idea how strong Hans was, and she was glad that he hadn't been the abusive one. Even though she saw him beating up a traitor, she couldn't ever see him hitting a woman.

Lukas eventually gave up on trying to get Hans off of him, and he was starting to get very angry.

"Who the hell are you?"

"What does it matter to you?"

"You practically ripped me off of her and now you're trying to choke me."

"You don't hurt a woman like that!"

"What's it to you what I do? Do you know her?"

Hans hesitated for a minute, not knowing whether he should tell the truth or not. He briefly looked at Augusta, but she couldn't tell what he was feeling.

"Just- don't you dare lay your hands on her ever again!"

"Don't tell me what to do!" Lukas shouted.

"Excuse me," Hans said, clearly annoyed. "Do you see this?" He pointed to his uniform. "I'm an authority figure, and therefore I have authority over you. So either you do what I say or I arrest you."

"Do you think I care? You're pathetic at your job," Lukas said.

Lukas abruptly stood up and they began fighting each other. It was much worse than the way that Hans beat up the traitor. Normally, Augusta would make them stop, only this time, she didn't have the strength to. All that she could think about was that a miracle occurred in her favor and the man she loved saved her life again. She didn't know how to ever thank him. It was almost too good to be true.

"You son of a bitch!" Lukas shouted and wiped the blood from his mouth with the back of his hand. "You're the one she's having an affair with, aren't you? That's why you must care so much! How dare you have sex with the woman I'm getting engaged to!"

Augusta blushed. Hans didn't say anything. He narrowed his eyebrows at Lukas and clenched his jaw. Then, he briefly looked at Augusta in her sorry state, and a look of sorrow crossed his face. Then he turned back to Lukas.

"How dare you do this to her," he said, in a quiet and steely calm voice. It completely chilled her, because it meant that he was furious. She had no idea what he was going to do next.

He punched Lukas square on his nose. A cracking sound filled the air. Augusta wasn't a doctor, but she could tell that it had broken on impact.

Lukas's eyes began to water, not from crying but instead the punch that triggered it. He was completely shocked, and he cried out in agony as he cupped his hands around his bloody nose. The blood was seeping through the cracks on his hands, and Hans looked satisfied.

"I swear, I'm going to..."

Before Lukas could finish his sentence, Hans punched him so hard that he fell to the ground, unconscious.