Chapter 19

Josef parked his car in front of Hans's house. Augusta was beside herself with worry. She didn't know what was going to happen in the next few hours, yet she could sense that it wasn't going to be good. The worst part was, it was all her fault. All of this stress that everyone she knew and loved had to deal with was all because of her and her wants and desires.

"Do you need me to take you inside?" Josef asked.

"No, thank you," she replied. "I will be fine."

"Are you sure?"

She laughed.

"I'm fine, I promise."

"Alright then."

"Good luck, Josef," she said, sincerely.

She tried not to show him how worried she was about him, but it was fairly obvious. She didn't want him to kill Lukas, but she knew, deep down, that killing off Lukas was the only way she could finally be free. Even if she did marry Hans, Lukas still would follow her around and try to harm her family.

"Thanks. I'll be fine," he said, smiling, but she could see that beneath his confident facade he was also afraid.

She smiled back at him, retrieved her belongings, and walked up to Hans's door and waved goodbye.

She knocked at the door, and within a few seconds, Hans opened it, looking disheveled. It was clear that he hastily put on the rest of his uniform to answer the door.

"Augusta," he said, pleasantly surprised. "Is everything all right?" He gestured at her bag.

She looked down, not knowing what to say. As much as she didn't want him to worry, she knew that she would have to tell him eventually. She shook her head, and with that, she burst into tears.

"Oh, dear. Let's go inside," he said, and picked her up and took her inside. She cried onto his shoulder, his protective shoulder that she had cried on numerous times before.

After he put her down on the couch, he hugged her tightly and didn't say anything until she regained her composure. She couldn't stop- she was worried and unhappy about everything and she hated her mother for doing this to her. There was nothing in the world that she wanted more than to live a normal and happy life with Hans and their child in a Thousand Year Reich. Was that too much to ask for? Everything that had happened to her in the past few months all led up to this, everything that she had held inside of her, not wanting to bother anyone with, she was letting out. She couldn't believe how much her life had changed in the past few months, and she almost wished that she had committed suicide that day, so long ago when she was going to have her first date with Hans, even if it meant that all these wonderful memories she had with him wouldn't have occurred and possibly made him feel horrible and partially responsible.

"Tell me what's bothering you," Hans finally said, as caring and loving as he had done in the past.

August sniffled. "Lukas... he... found out that I'm p-pregnant and..." she began. "He wants to k-kill our child or me or you." She cried even more, just the thought that Lukas would want to harm Hans or their child was enough to drive her insane.

Hans didn't say anything for a moment, but still hugged her and rubbed her back, gently. He had a look of consternation on his face, trying to process the whole situation. He finally looked at Augusta in utter disbelief.

"Do you know how he found out?"

"My mother said the doctor mentioned it."

"Son of a -"

"It's all right, the doctor didn't know. He was probably told that I was going to marry Lukas and so he naturally assumed that Lukas is the father. But I didn't know that Lukas would want to do... that."