Chapter 6

The days were getting colder, as it was nearing the end of October. One could even see their breath outside in the morning. Yet it was a good time for Augusta. She almost felt truly happy, much happier than she'd felt in a very long time. Sure, she was still being forced to get married in a few months, and her mother was still bothering her with wedding plans, but she was happy with Hans. They had an amazing relationship, and she almost wished it was completely normal, the kind where they could meet each other's parents and where it didn't matter if anyone knew.

The night of Charlotte's birthday was one of the best days of her life. She replayed her kiss with Hans all the time, even if it wasn't very passionate and just merely a soft kiss that was kind of a confirmation of their relationship. She thought it was perfect. She was careful not to become to emotionally involved with Hans, because she remembered about Lukas. It was hard to really trust anyone after what Lukas did to her. And she really liked Hans. She could tell that she was a lot happier around him.

That day, Augusta was slumped on the couch, with terrible posture, and her gazed was fixed at the fire that blazed in the fireplace. She was, as usual, thinking about Hans.

She heard someone, somewhere, stomp across the floor in the living room.

"Augusta?" her mother said, sounding exasperated.

Augusta was startled. She looked up, to see her mother standing in front of her with her hands on her hips and her mouth in a tight line.

"What?" Augusta said, completely dazed.

Her mother sighed. "Oh, what am I going to do with you? Look at your posture. You've been daydreaming again."

Augusta straightened herself up. "I'm sorry. Is there anything you want me to do?"

"I just wanted to tell you that since you're going to be with Charlotte today, you should go to the florist's to look at flower arrangements for your wedding. He called and told me that he wanted to show you something, unless of course, you want me to go. You wanted blue and purple, right?"

More like you wanted it, she thought. "Yeah, of course. I will be sure to go. You don't have to. And I will tell him that you said hello."

Augusta couldn't think of anything more dreadful to do.

"Thank you. I'm just so excited for your wedding."

Her mother stepped forward and kissed Augusta on the forehead.

Augusta rolled her eyes. She didn't mind that her mother kissed her, just that she was so obsessed with a wedding that she technically arranged, even though nobody in Germany had arranged marriages anymore. Then again, it was more like her mother went somewhere, met Lukas, and suggested that they go on a date together. The date surprisingly went pretty well. Then, she told her mother that, and her mother told Lukas to propose to Augusta. Augusta actually didn't have a lot of feelings for him, but she thought that as they dated, she might start to fall in love with him. When he propsed, in her mother's presence, she had to say yes. If she didn't, her mother would have killed her. Her mother even looked at her and nodded. And after that day, Augusta began to see the true side of Lukas, the side that no woman wanted to see.

Augusta quickly got her coat and went outside to walk to Aaron's house, where Charlotte lived now. It was very close to her own house, and she knew that it was a definite change from what Charlotte was used to.

When Augusta got to her friends' house, she knocked on the door. Charlotte opened it, with a bright smile on her face.

"Hey!" Charlotte said. "Come on, let's go."

They began to walk onto the sidewalks, like they always did together, from all the way back to when they went to school.

"How's the married life?" Augusta asked.