P.S. I Love You

Hans Steiner stood stiffly and expressionless beside one of his friends, Martin, in front of a store in downtown Munich and minded his own business. Well, sort of. He was technically supposed to be paying attention to what the civilians were doing, but even still, he thought that was boring. They never really did anything interesting, anyways. He was an SS officer who mainly patrolled around the center of Munich and arrested traitors. More traitors than anything else. There just weren't as many non-Aryans in Munich. Sometimes he would arrest Jewish people, which was always exciting. It caused quite a commotion and people talked about it for days. From what he heard from his brother, there were a lot more Jews in Berlin. Berlin was a completely corrupted city, in his opinion. He was almost glad that he left Berlin to go to college in Munich. And for two years, he called Munich home.

It was a cloudy day toward the middle of September in 1935. It was very obvious that it was going to rain soon. The streets weren't busy at all that day. In fact, he only saw around twenty people in all. But he had to do his job. No matter how boring it could get. He didn't even have a clue that such a boring day could turn out to be very important.

Out of his peripheral vision, he could see a woman walking down the sidewalk. In a normal situation, he would just completely ignore the women because they usually came up to him and started flirting with him. Needless to say, he usually flirted back, but it was usually harmless flirting and he never saw the women again. But sometimes, they would come and stalk him while he was patrolling. Some people called him a player, but he was never into the women, and unlike most of his friends, Hans never slept with anyone. But this wasn't a normal situation. This woman didn't even pay the slightest bit attention to him. He was a little frustrated, but more impressed than anything. This one wasn't easy, that was for sure. He wasn't really into easy women, but unfortunately for him, they were into him. It was extremely rare that he met someone who wasn't initially into him. Actually, it had never happened before. She briefly glanced at him and then focused on wherever she was going. She was completely unlike any woman he had ever seen. She had that aristocratic thing about her, but he could tell that she was very nice. He couldn't help but stare. She was beautiful, with long curly hair, the color chestnut. She was tall, too. He never saw a woman who was almost as tall as him. Hans could easily tell that she was an Aryan. He even thought that she might have looked familiar, but he was sure he'd remember if he ever met someone like her.

Hans tried ignoring her and focused on the 'Jews Not Allowed' sign on the store across the street that some people were going into. In fact, it was on almost every place. At the beginning of the month, the Fuhrer and the government had announced new laws, the Nuremberg Laws, that stripped Jews of their citizenship. No matter what though, his thoughts kept going back to her. He would have normally went up to her and talked to her, but for the first time in his life, he was too nervous. And that really pissed him off. That never happened to him, and what he wanted to know was how this woman intimidated him so much. She was probably the kind who had tons of men falling for her.

The light changed and she crossed the street.

It was so quiet that the whole world seemed to slow down, and that Hans and the woman were the only two people in the world.

Suddenly, a black Audi zoomed down the street in a not-so-straight line so quickly that nobody could have noticed it until it was a second too late.

Hans ran to the street as fast as he could, with Martin right behind him. "Halt!" Hans shouted, louder than he ever had yelled in his life. He could even hear his voice echo. The car screeched to a sudden stop. People rushed out of the stores to see what was going on, and seemed a bit let down to see that it wasn't anything that involved arresting a Jew. Martin approached the driver and demanded that he get out. Hans didn't even have to see the driver's bloodshot eyes to tell that he was incredibly drunk, which made Hans even angrier.