Chapter [13] Agree to Disagree

“I can’t believe you!”

Inara stomped over to Ethan and kicked him straight in the shin. He jumped back, hopping on one foot. I moved away from Chase to hold Inara back before she went for round two.

She pulled her arm from my grip. “He let go of our prisoner!” Her eyes narrowed at Ethan, both cheeks aflame. “What is wrong with you? That bottom-feeder could have given us answers to what the hell is happening!” Inara stepped back and began to pace along the road. Her frustration was understandable, but to cause physical injury, I couldn’t agree with.

I walked over to Inara, placing my hand gently on her shoulder to stop her from moving. “Hey,” I said. “He went alone. I’m sure he did all that he could do by himself, so let’s give him a little credit.”

Her eyes watered over, making it the first time I had seen her on the verge of crying. A part of my original opinion about her withered like a dandelion, however, weeds tend to grow back with a vengeance.

“I didn’t mean to hurt him,” she said, quickly wiping away any of evidence of tears about to be spilled. Her eyes widened as she stared at me. This particular look coming from her was never good.

I rolled my shoulders back, clearing my throat. Anxiety crept through. The palms of my hands became clammy. I know right away the conversation was going to take an awkward turn.

Inara’s mouth pulled into a devilish smirk. “You’ve got feelings for that guy, don’t you?” When I didn’t respond, she spoke louder, “Oh. My. God! You do! The princess has a forbidden love!” A hysterical laughter rushed through the air. She bent over, clutching at her knees. When she stood straight, a long sigh left her chest. “Princess, you truly are an idiot. Chase is godly hot. You don’t deserve him.”

I lunged forward, grabbing hold of her arm. “Shut up! You should stop judging other people and take a hard, long look at yourself.” My chest rose and fell rapidly. Heat scorched my cheeks. “I’m an idiot? Better yet, if you think you’re so high and mighty, go across that barricade all alone!”

She broke free from my grasp, wrapping her arms protectively across her chest. Her lips pressed tightly together as she shook her head.

“That’s what I thought,” I said, and walked away back toward Chase.

Fingertips brushed my arm. Chase wrapped me in a hug. His lips pressed against the top of my head, and then lingered near my ear.

“Everything okay?” he asked his voice low with concern. “I saw you over there with Inara. What did she say to you?” His fingers moved down the length of my arm. My body reacted to his touch. I shivered, pressing further into him. How I wished we could be alone. No more Inara. No more Tank. No more bottom-feeders. No more…

Ethan.

I stepped back from Chase when Ethan crossed my mind. “She’s just being her innocent and kind self as usual.” My eyes flickered toward Ethan. Hands stuffed in his front pockets, he rocked back and forth on the heel of his shoes. He looked adorable.

“Mila?” Chase touched my arm. I trembled.

“Hmm?” I stopped looking at Ethan. Guilt wrenched at my heart. Why do I keep acting like this?

My boyfriend, Chase, smiled his gorgeous smile that made me weak in the knees. “You’re cute when you blush.”

I huffed. “Blush? Why would I be blushing?” Oh god. I was blushing while looking at Ethan.

Chase pulled me against his body. “You’re in love.”

Before I could say a word, he pressed his lips against mine. Softly at first, then with passion that spread over the length of my body. I wanted him all, every inch, every single breath that brushed past his lips. He was mine. I was his. But the world wanted to test our relationship. The dying world wanted to separate us forever.

A throat cleared in the distance. I broke free from Chase’s moist lips. Turning my head, I felt my cheeks warm when six pairs of eyes were watching us in shock. To my relief, Chase began to laugh, combing his fingers through his blond hair. The tension between us all dissipated.

Tank snorted. “Damn! That was hot, princess!”

I shook my head, wiping the remainder of Chase’s kiss from my plumped lips.

Chase intervened. “Hey, Tank,” he said. “That’s my girl. You might want to keep your thoughts to yourself, man.” He tried to sound serious but it came out more of a light banter.

Ethan stepped forward, his eyes never leaving mine. “Now that we’ve had a nice little show, how about we move on?” His words sunk deep within me, twisting and turning. I felt ill.

Does he mean I should move on from Chase to him, or move on to figure out where the missing villagers went?

I was thinking too far into what Ethan said. Officially feeling like a crazy person, I went and stood next to him. Chase, Tank, and Inara all waited, looking for some kind of direction.

Clearing my throat, I said, “We lost Sanders. But we can’t blame Ethan. He did his best and made it back alive. We should be thankful.” My eyes flitted toward Inara. She looked away. “It’s pointless now to risk going into the city with the bottom-feeders swarming the area. I think we should head off onto the unbeaten path.” I pointed toward the dying trees that were once considered hardwoods.

Two groans and one nod. Tank and Inara clearly disagreed, while Chase sided with my idea. Loyal to a fault, but that’s why I loved him.

Gazing upward, I took note of the sun. We only had a few hours left of daylight.

Ethan’s fingers grazed my hand. “What are you thinking?” His voice was low so only I could hear. “If you’re having second thoughts about going into the woods, you shouldn’t. It’s probably our safest bet. Recons will be flooding this area sooner or later.”

I smiled up at him. “Thank you for agreeing, but I was actually worried that we don’t have a lot of daylight left. Once we get out there, what are we going to do? What about shelter and fire to keep warm?” All of the questions I was asking did make me second guess myself.

Ethan stood in front of me, pulling my chin up so that I would look him in the eyes. “What is your gut telling you?” His fingertip slid underneath my chin. Goose bumps prickled over my arms.

“My gut? I think it’s telling me to walk 20 feet away and throw up.” Laughing now, I stepped back from Ethan, afraid that Chase is watching our conversation. I ran my hands over my face, and exhaled loudly. “Let’s go. We either stay here and get arrested or attacked, or we take our chances out there.” My shaking finger pointed toward the woods.

Inara walked up to us, nudging me aside with her boney shoulder. “Who died and made her ring leader?” Her eyes bore into Ethan’s. When he didn’t answer she looked back at Tank and Chase. “Seriously, guys, come on! I’m more experienced at this kind of stuff than pretty princess here.” Her thumb pointed at me from over her shoulder. Everyone kept quiet, letting Inara’s anger grow. She turned around and marched up to me, our faces inches apart.  “Forget what I said before, you know, about us working together. I didn’t mean it. I never will.”

“Fine with me,” I replied. “Are you done ranting?”

She nodded and walked back toward Tank who was busy talking to Chase.

Ethan chuckled. “She’s nuts.”

I couldn’t help but laugh a little, mostly because my nerves needed a bit of release. “I couldn’t agree with you more.”

Chase looked our way as Inara and Tank headed toward the woods. He smiled, his dimpled cheeks created butterflies in my stomach. It never took much for me to willingly gravitate toward his pull. Within seconds, I stood in front of him, unaware that I had left Ethan back in limbo, alone.

“Ready?” I asked, waiting for him to smother me with kisses.

He shook his head. “No, I’m not. I’m scared as hell.”

“Me too,” I said, taking his hand in mine. “Let’s be scared as hell together.”