Chapter [5] Turn Back

No one questioned Ethan any further about his mark. He seemed pretty tight-lipped about the situation. The guy wasn’t the kindest person I’ve ever met, and well, I knew he and Inara would make great friends.

“You guys head back,” Inara said to the group as we left the Inner City unscathed. “I’ve got somewhere to be.”

I stopped, unable to hide my curiosity. It was becoming a bad habit of mine. “Where are you going? Should you be roaming the city alone?”

She glared at me.

That’s was the Inara I knew, not the one who gave me a compliment earlier.

“What does it concern you?” She turned her back on us and stalked off into the distance.

Tank rested his hand on my left shoulder. “You sure do know how to piss her off,” he acknowledged the obvious.

“Yep, I sure do,” I replied, swapping his hand away.

I looked to my right. Chase and Ethan were in some kind of deep conversation. It took everything inside of me to not barge on over there and butt my nose into their business.

If it concerns Chase, then it concerns me, right? I contemplated this thought for a moment, and decided to stay back.

Shooter stood off to the side, silently picking at his fingernails. His lanky figure leaned against a building looking quite at ease. He was a mystery to me. He saved my life, but barely acknowledged my presence. Maybe going to him first would break the ice?

“Hey,” I said to Shooter. He glanced up at me, and then back down at his fingertips, meticulously digging away at the nail beds. “Um, I just wanted to say thanks, again.”

He didn’t respond, so I leaned against the building next to him and waited for a moment.

“Why are you here?” he replied, finally.

I gave him a side long glance. “What do you mean? I’m here to escape.”

“There’s nothing here. You were better off in your barricaded village where it’s safe.” He pushed away from the building and turned to face me. I couldn’t see his mouth, but I could tell by the way his brows dove downward that he was being serious. “Go home while you can, Mila.”

He walked away, back towards the loft. I watched him disappear into the distance. His shoulders hunched forward with his hands stuffed in his pant pockets. He reminded me a lot of the kids back home- reclusive.

Sadness pulled at my heart. I couldn’t shake away the feeling until Chase wrapped his arm around my waist, making the dark emotion slip away. Laying my head against his chest, I wondered if life would ever be as simple as being with Chase had become. His touch alone made everything better.

“Well, I’m outta’ here,” said Ethan, directing me away from my comforting moment. “Stay out of trouble.” He looked straight at me and winked.

I moved away from Chase, tucking a strand of wet hair behind my ear. Thankful the rain had subsided. “Are you going to Juno?” I had to ask him out of envy.

He shrugged. “Who knows?”

Anger boiled inside me. This guy had an opportunity of a new life on a thriving planet, while we were left to rot. “That’s the stupidest thing I’ve heard in a long time!”

“Simmer down, kiddo.”

“No, I won’t,” I shouted. “Leave while you can. Don’t waste the only chance you have. Don’t waste a spot that could have been someone else’s.”