Chapter [3] Fast Friends

Who were these people? Some rich kids who lost their parents, left alone to fend for themselves? I watched Inara pointing down at a map spread across the width of the kitchen table. She spoke low. The way she took charge led me to believe she was the leader of this group. But no one, not even she would take charge of my life.

Chase stopped examining every nook and cranny in the living room. He walked over to the couch and sat down next to me, scratching behind his ear. Something was bothering him; it was a nervous habit I’ve caught onto over the years I’ve known him.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, touching his arm. He looked down at his feet, and then over at me.

“This is it,” he said.

“Explain…”

He shifted his body closer to mine, whispering into my ear, “I think we should ask if we can stay here until we get selected in the Draw.” I shot him a concerned look, not completely on board with his sudden change in plans.

I laughed with doubt, but low enough the others couldn’t hear me. “I think it’s a bad idea.”

Chase narrowed his eyes. He didn’t expect me to disagree. “Why do you think that? This is a perfect opportunity to get to know the city with people who actually have been living here, Mila. We’re as good as dead without them.”

Because I don’t trust that girl…That’s what I really wanted to say, but couldn’t. I wouldn’t expose my mistrust and jealousy.

Shaking my head, I stood to walk away, but he grabbed onto my hand. “Chase, I think I need to be alone for a minute to think this over, okay?” He looked up at me, hurt tugged at his brows as he tried to hold back whatever it was he wanted to say.

He let me go, and just like that, I walked away.

Anger boiled inside me as I walked toward the hallway, disappearing into the bathroom. I shut the door, leaning my back against the cold sheet plate. Staring up, I followed the cracks webbing from each corner of the ceiling.

I couldn’t remember the last time I felt this way toward Chase. We always got along. Why couldn’t I just trust his decisions? Let him lead the way? We didn’t know who these people were, but then again, we had just run away to the strange city. What did I expect?

Get over you’re messed up emotions, I told myself.

A soft rapping came from the other side of the door.

“Busy!” I called out. Maybe whoever it was would get the hint by the tone of my voice that I just wanted to be alone.

They didn’t’. “The city is cleared. We’re going to the Inner City to scavenge for more items. I think you and your boyfriend should come, too, so you can get the hang of things when you go off on your own.” It was Inara. She paused, waiting for my response. I let her suffer a moment, refraining myself from speaking.

A moment passed as I contemplated. Chase was determined to get us through this. But I couldn’t let him take all the responsibility. It was time for me to learn, too.

“I’m coming,” I sighed.

It was quiet on the other side. Suspecting she had walked away, I opened the door. But there she stood, arms crossed over her chest, now leaning against the frame. She held a look that told me she didn’t really want me to be there. The question that plagued my mind was, why does she want to help?

Inara looked at me from head to toe. “You can’t wear that outfit. Unfortunately, I’m a lot smaller than you…”

I wanted to choke her, push her against the wall and give her a piece of my mind.