Chapter [9] Countdown

The flames didn’t come right away. First it was explosions from afar that rattled the windows on the house. I stayed still – hoping – that we weren’t the next target.

“Mila,” Chase said. “You’re going to head toward the door on the count of three. We need to get off this top floor and away from the windows.” His body rose from my mine a little bit, while he steadied himself on the palm of his hands. He stared down at me, blue eyes hardened with fear and adrenaline. “One,” he started his countdown.

“…two.”

I can’t do this, I thought, waiting for that dreaded number to escape his lips.

“Three! Go!” He jumped up, pulling me onto my feet. I couldn’t think straight. I just ran.

Two more laps, Mila! Faster, faster! My running coach’s voice raced through my mind.

“I can do this,” I breathed. “I’ve got this!”

Chase caught up to me, pulling me by my wrist. We ran together, down the stairs, and stopped short at the front door. I looked back up the stairs, searching for Ethan. For a moment I thought maybe he gave up, or that he was hurt. But then he appeared, and a wave of relief washed over me.

“What’s wrong?” Ethan asked me with a smirk. “For a second, I thought you were scared for my life.” His smirk turned into a wide grin.

I rolled my eyes, sneaking a glance at Chase, and then back at Ethan. “There’s the jerk I know. Welcome back.” With a pat on his arm, I put a large gap between us.

Another explosion shook the entire foundation of the house, sending me back toward Ethan, and into his embrace. I pushed him away, frustrated. Trying to stay focused, I watched as Chase investigated.

He cracked open the front door, peeking outside, and then moved back. He clicked the door shut, again. “Looks like the houses on the next street over are on fire. My guess is this street is next.”

“Then what the hell are we waiting for?” Ethan asked.

Chase leaned his back against the door. “Dude, we don’t know if there are foot soldiers out there. Chill out, let’s think this through for a minute.”

Ethan pushed past me, and grabbed Chase by the shirt, shoving him to the side. “If you’re too scared to find out, then I will. Stay out of my way, Hot Shot.” He released Chase’s shirt and opened the front door.

“Ethan!” I yelled, and watched him disappear onto the front porch.

Chase slammed the door shut and faced me. “He’s nothing but trouble, Mila! We don’t need him.” His eyes searched over my face, then focused on my trembling lips. “Are you ready?” He brushed his thumb across my mouth.

No, I thought.

Instead, I said, “Yes. Let’s go.”

The ground rumbled beneath my feet as I ran ahead of Chase. Heat from surrounding fire crawled against the skin on my face. Even though I was terrified, I tried to push the fear aside.

Choppers flew above us, and the sound of missiles slicing through the air in the midnight sky made me run even faster. I looked up at the metal birds, and all I could see were their bright lights and clouds of smoke blocking the balls of light burning in space.

The spotlight hadn’t found us, yet. And not far, the main road that would lead us back to the city appeared. I went in full sprint, my feet barely hitting the ground. The burning in my chest and metallic taste in my mouth warned my body to stop. Just stop and breathe. But I wouldn’t. I wasn’t ready to die.