Chapter [4] New Arrival

After spending a little more time alone, Chase and I walked back out into the kitchen where the others stood, waiting. Inara tossed a bottle of water to Chase. She hesitated, looking me over, and then tossed me one.

“Sip on those,” she said. “Bottled water is getting scarce these days.”

Tank walked over to me, pulling my arms through the loops of a backpack. He handed Chase’s and maneuvered back into the kitchen to continue packing. I watched Shooter load a gun, securing it between his belt and the hem of his pants.

“We need to know some things before going out there,” I said, mostly to Inara. “First, we’ve been pretty much denied the truth of anything going on outside of our village. I think it’s time we get filled in on some important information.”

“Fair enough,” said Inara. “We all know the obvious, Earth is dying.” She pulled her blonde hair up into a ponytail and adjusted her shoulder bag, slinging it around onto her back. “But there’s more to it as we now know. People keep dying, and not just from natural causes and old age.”

Chase wrapped his arm around me as he spoke, “The Gatherers have come to our homes before.” His arm dropped, his shoulders suddenly sagged. “To mine at least –”

I cleared my throat, trying to sway him from the subject. These people didn’t need to know about our lives back in the village. They wouldn’t understand what his mother’s death meant to him, to us. She was the glue that kept it all together. She sparked the hope we possessed.

Shooter tossed his bag on the table, causing a loud thump. “Gatherers,” he huffed. “I’d like to ring the necks of those who operate them. Taking away our family and friends, like garbage in a landfill!”

Inara raised her hands into the air. “Okay, let’s move on. We all know what the Gatherers are and what they do. Let’s stay focused, alright?” She looked directly at Shooter as he gave her a slight nod. I knew then he wouldn’t have another outburst.

“Tell us about the masks,” Chase said, dangling one from his fingertips. “These look cheap, so why wear them?”

Tank took the stage. “They’re a necessity outside. No one leaves their home without one slapped tightly onto their face. Got it?” He brushed past Chase, bumping into his shoulder.

What is this? Who’s more macho? 

Chase shook off Tank’s aggressive approach, and smirked. “Alright, that didn’t answer my question.” He looked to Inara. “What the hell is the reason?”

Her brows pulled inward. She locked eyes with Chase, doing what I’d always done, get lost in his stare. As though a bee stung her, she flinched, looking away and fumbled with her bag. “You’ve heard of people becoming carriers. It has something to do with what’s killing living organisms on our planet. Those who become carriers are affected differently. Some are worse than others. That’s why we wear masks. They probably don’t work, but it’s worth the shot.”

I leaned my elbows onto the kitchen counter, soaking in all the information. “How different are we talking?”

“The bottom-feeders are practically gangsters. They rarely leave the Inner City, but when they do, people go missing. Hence the siren you heard earlier.” Inara stopped talking, and sipped diligently at her water. “Rumor has it, they’re cannibals.”

My mouth gaped open. Why would we face such murderous criminals?

“Do they look different?” I couldn’t help but wonder, needing to know before laying my eyes upon one.

Inara leaned forward across from me, inches from my face. “They’re hideous. So, you ready to go out there, princess?”

“We’re ready,” Chase replied, his hand protectively covering my left shoulder. He leaned over me, whispering next to my ear, “You can stay here if you want. I’m not forcing you to go, Mila.”