Chapter [2] Good Simaratin

I held onto Chase's hand, idly leaning against the minicab. The driver had wandered off, mumbling about getting paid one way or the other by some jerk-off. Either way, I was somewhat scared to move away from the vehicle, exposing myself even more to the strangeness of the city.

"You look worried," Chase said, recognizing my inability to hide a forewarn expression.

I shrugged. "Want the truth?"

It was hard for me to hide anything from him.

"The truth is always nice." He smiled, trying to lighten the mood.

"Steel City isn't what I expected," I replied solemnly. "It's...empty, yet it isn't. Does that make sense?"

It was ironic. Steel City, just miles from my community, was rumored to be something great. But I all could see was the same damage, only now it was inside a vast area. Was risking what freedom we had left worth running away? I wasn't so sure anymore.

Chase pushed away from the minicab and stood in front of me, still clutching onto my hands. "Look at me," he said, his voice pulling my gaze up to his eyes. "Let's give it a chance. If we don't find what we're looking for, I promise I will take you back home." He leaned forward, placing a gentle kiss on my cheek, sending a chill down my spine.

"I'm never going anywhere without you," I stated, my voice etched with a hardness only the will of surviving could mold.

He didn't need to say anything, but only to hold me against his chest. His heartbeat was calm against my rapid bursts. Chase was my calm against the storm. It was me who was the storm, my emotions flared from time to time. I'd always thank my home life for that glitch.

Both of my parents died six years ago. Their death was never fully explained to me. I would remember the day two government officials approached the front door. I had just arrived home from school, ecstatic about breaking a new middle school record for female runners in my community. Finding my mother and father was top priority, they'd be so proud. But opening that door sealed my fate that day.

"There has been a tragic accident," an official said. "It involves your parents. I'm sad to say that both have died. I'm afraid we're not obligated to state the conditions in which took your parents. Instead, you must accept this and come with us. You will be moved immediately into foster care until you've come of age."

That's all. Accept the conditions and move on. Forget about the truth, whatever it may have been.

"That idiot is going to pay!" the driver shouted, stomping toward us. His fist waved through the air. I noticed he wore a white mask strapped over his nose and mouth. "I'm sick of these damned city people thinking they can take me for all I'm worth. This is my job! This is how I feed my family!"

I moved away from Chase, studying the man carefully. Loose black curls brushed across his forehead, lying past his bushy eyebrows. "Why are you wearing that?" My finger was inches from his mask. He pulled away, narrowing his eyes.

"You two aren't really from the city, are you? First, you knew nothing of the bottom-feeders, and now our masks?"

A lump formed in my throat. I glanced at Chase, raising my eyebrows, hoping for him to step in to save the day. He blinked rapidly, confusion swept across his face. I swallowed, trying to wet my dry throat.

"Answer me!" the driver yelled, yanking on my arm.

Chase charged like a bull, knocking the man down onto the ground. I've never seen him so angry before. His chest puffed in and out as he pointed down at the driver. "Don't you dare lay a hand on her - ever - again," he seethed.