Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"Mila!" He yelled my name excitedly this time.

"Henry!" I did the same, laughing as he hugged me tight and lifted me off the ground. "What are you doing here?" I asked as he set me back down.

"Me? What are YOU doing here?" Oh right, his dad owns the cabin grounds.

"We're on our Christmas vacation."

"You guys haven't been here since Roni's second Christmas! Glad your back!"

"Glad to be back, Mr. Baxter... Although that was only last year." I laughed. "Come in!"

"Thanks," He laughed too. "My dad sent me over to collect the payment by the way."

"Oh yeah!" I grabbed my dads wallet and pulled out the money he'd reserved for the payment.

"Thank you, Madam." He winked and slipped the hundred into his pocket. "Is Roni asleep?"

"She's supposed to be... but because it's Veronica Leona Jacobson we're talking about, probably not." He snickered and Roni came walking into the living room.

"Who's here?" She asked sleepily. "HENRY!" She shouted, all tiredness fading as she jumped into his arms.

"Hey, Roni Girl! I'm surprised you still remember me!"

"You're candy man!" She giggled. He slipped a lollipop out of his black coat pocket and handed it to her. Her eyes brightened up considerably when she received it, holding it like gold and licking her lips.

"What do you say Roni?" I prodded.

"Can you open this?" Henry chuckled.

"Veronica!" I exclaimed.

"Please?" She added.

"Sure." He smiled as he ripped the wrapper.

"Thank you, Henry!" She took a big a lick.

"Who's this?" Liam asked about thirty minutes later as he and miss skanky came inside to find Henry, Roni, and I watching Harry Potter and The Sorcerers Stone on the couch.

"Oh, Henry this is Liam Payne... Liam this is my friend Henry."

"Candy man!" Roni cackled maniacally over her second bag of skittles (seriously not healthy for an almost three year old).

"Okay? Well it's a dark and Lisa doesn't want to drive home tonight... Is it okay if she stays here?"

"Sure." I swallowed my pride. "In fact I was just about to make some vegan cookies."

"That sounds great!" Lisa brightened.

"Great!" I mocked her shrilly voice but she didn't notice. Henry stifled his laughter and Liam scowled. I scampered off to the kitchen and got out the ingredients.

As I mixed them together a song called 'The Past' crept into my brain reminding me of my younger brother... It was random but it brought tears to my eyes. He'd been my best friend when we were younger but he'd started doing drugs when he was fourteen and it broke my heart. That was around the same time Liam tried out for X-Factor the first time. But that was years ago... and my baby brother had overdosed when Veronica was only a year old.

"So the chick can't handle dairy?" Came a sudden voice behind me. I wiped my tears and turned to face Henry with a smile.

"No," I replied. "She's vegan." he pulled something out of the fridge.

"Do it." He smirked, handing me the jug of milk.

"Absolutely not! You bad boy!" I scolded.

"He's snogging her in front of your daughter."

"Give me the damn two percent." I growled.