Chapter One

Chapter One

I remember the day Liam broke up with me very clearly because it was the same day my mother took me to the hospital to get tested. No, it wasn't for cancer or insanity or anything too serious. It was for pregnancy. Right after Liam had left I knew something was wrong, but I ignored it for two months. Even so, a part of me knew I was pregnant with Liam's baby, and I was happy. When the doctor told me that my suspicions were confirmed, I tried to hide my smile. My mom would've had me tested for insanity if she knew her sixteen year old daughter was happy being pregnant with her sixteen year old boyfriend's baby.

As soon as we got home I ran upstairs to call Liam, but he beat me to it.

"Hi, Liam." I said giddily into the phone. "You'll never guess-"

"Before you go any further, Mila... I just want you to know that I love you." When he said that my giddiness was gone. "I just think that you and I need to maybe see other people... This long distance isn't really working for me. I'm sorry."

"Oh." I placed a delicate hand on my midsection. "I see."

"Well are we good?" I bit back my tears.

"Yeah," I said. "We're good."

"Good. So what did you want to tell me?" I looked down at where our baby-my baby- was inside of me.

"Nothing." But my voice was barely above a whisper. I hung up the phone before he could say anything more, and I cried. I cried for a long time; and the saddest part was that Liam didn't even know the have of it.

She was born a big baby at nine pounds eleven inches on a frosty December morning. Christmas eve to be exact. It was the same date that everyone and their brother was tweeting a boy in Liam's band because it was his birthday that day. Perfect timing Veronica.

Veronica Leona Jacobson, though I'd always imagined her last name would be Payne. She had light brown hair like him and his big brown eyes. I loved her more than anything in the entire world. Liam still didn't know about her, and I intended to keep it that way. For a long long time.