Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Don't eat that!" I said worriedly as I plucked the open glue stick out of my two year old daughter's hands.

"But it's good, mommy!" Veronica giggled as I wiped the sticky stuff off her mouth and hands.

"It's gross is what it is, Roni." Another giggle. Veronica and I had been living in an apartment since she turned one and I seventeen, honestly it was easier than living with my parents. Just then my cell phone rang and I lurched to the coffee table for it.

"Hello?" I tried to sound as calm and well rested as I walked into the kitchen to finish preparing dinner.

"It's your mother, love... No need to put up an act with me."

"Hi, mommy." I smiled as I stirred the macaroni. "What's shakin?"

"Well..." She said nervously. "We have some good news and some bad news."

"Please give me the good news first." I sighed. "Heaven knows I need it."

"We're having Christmas at the cabin this year."

"Yes! I love the cabin!"

"And the bad news is... Liam and his family are coming." I dropped the phone.

"Shit!" I said as I picked it up.

"What does that mean?" Veronica asked.

"Nothing, don't repeat it." I warned and she kept playing. "Why are they coming?" I stage whispered.

"Well Liam has to know about his child at some point, right?"

"Yeah, but not now!" I shrieked into the phone.

"She'll be three years old next week, Mila... Liam needs to be a part of her life."

"Isn't it enough I show her pictures and tell her that if she ever sees him she needs to kick him in the nuts and scream bloody murder?" I smirked and added more salt to the vegetables.

"Please tell me you don't use that type of language with my granddaughter." Mom begged.

"Of course not." I lied. "I would never do that."

"Good, and will you PLEASE try to be civil towards him?"

"Yes, mother." I lied again. "Bye, mom!"

"Bye, sweetie." She said uncertainly.

"Veronica?" I called out into the small apartment.

"Yes, mommy?" She poked her head into the kitchen and I smiled.

"Let's go get you some new, POINTY shoes."